Chapter 6 - Farm Help

Start from the beginning

"Feed the animals? Work in the patch? Muck out a stable?" Chris tries to help.

"Stables! Yeah, that is it. Muck them out," I give him a grateful smile. "Okay, well, this is the patch. I started it when we moved in, but I don't get enough vegetables and fruit out of it yet to use in the restaurant. Eventually, it will work. I have enough ground to expand, and now with the two of us, I will be able to. That fenced area there is under construction and will soon be a camping site," I point to the big field in front of us.

"My sister told me something about it. So, this place is not done yet?"

"I doubt it will ever be," I laugh.

We then walk to the empty barn since the cows graze on the field close to the woods.

"We have six cows and ten goats that get milked twice a day. I then let the cows out in the field and the goats go to the petting zoo. A farmer nearby buys the cow milk to make cheese and the restaurant uses the goat milk. We don't really need them, but they give a better idea to the guests on how a ranch looks like and the goats are a hit with the young ones. Those beasts have been hugged and kissed more times than me."

"I have never milked a cow before," Chris laughs feebly and rubs the nape of his neck.

"Nothing to worry about. It's an automated system. Here are the stables. Can you ride?"

"Yeah, I can. Haven't done it in years, but used to enjoy it."

"We have six horses. Four mares and two stallions. One of the mares is pregnant. I take her out for a ride on the paddock to give her some exercise, and because she loves it. We should get a little foal around August."

"Nice," he smiles. "Do they have names?"

"They do. Our Grandpa was a big fan of classical cinema, so we found it fun to name all the horses after movie stars. So here are Judy, Marilyn, Bette, Audrey, Gene and Clark," I read the name plaques on their stalls. "Bette is the pregnant mare and Clark is the proud dad."

Chris walks to Judy's fence, and she comes to greet him. He caresses her mane, and she pushes him softly with her nose.

"Good girl. We need to move them to the paddock so we have room to clean. I have an area fenced for Bette, so we should get her out first."

I whistle, and they all show their heads. This is playtime for them, and they are eager to get out. I put a halter on Bette and open the fence.

"Each of the- the belts- for the head-"

"Bridles?" Chris asks.

"Yeah, thanks. The bridles and saddles for each horse are mounted on the wall inside my office."

We work together and get all the horses outside. Judy keeps sniffling on Chris' hair and giving him little pushes of affection. I've never seen a horse fall in love before. We clean the stalls, and I feel grateful for the help. Chris works hard and whispers a song while doing it. After only an hour and a half, we have cleaned everything and laid fresh hay and water for our horses.

"Here you go," I offer him a bottle of cold soda. "I have a little fridge in each building. Help yourself whenever you feel thirsty."

"Thanks, Kitchi. What do we have to do next?" He opens the cap and takes a greedy drink.

"I don't know. I need to look on the..."

"Whiteboard."

"You catch up quickly. I keep everything for the day on there."

"Don't you have a phone? You could keep all the tasks in the calendar and carry it with you everywhere. Or even take a picture of the board," he gestures with his bottle.

"That won't work. I can't learn new stuff in the way an average person does. It would take me ages to figure out how to..."

Lost for the word I'm searching, I move my fingers just like my brothers do on their phones.

"Oh, I see. You don't know how to type. Well, I can put the things in my phone and help you. We will work together most of the time, right?"

"You will do that for me?" I feel surprised at the offer.

"Yeah, why not? It's more efficient than walking back and forth to the stables all the time," he shrugs.

"Thanks, Chris. I really appreciate your help."

We walk towards the paddock fence and watch the horses for a while. We finished earlier than expected and deserve a break before working on the rest.

"Would you like to join me for the trail ride this afternoon?" I say, still looking at the horses.

"Sure."

"I think Judy would like that very much. You can call it a date," I tease him.

"It will be more action than what I've gotten in the last years," he chuckles.

"Kitchi? Are you here?"

We both turn around at the voice calling from the stables entrance. My heart skips a beat just thinking about her.

"By the... paddock," I read the sign on the fence.

Nadine follows my voice and walks towards us. Her beautiful red hair is in a ponytail and her blue eyes crinkle when she smiles. On her arm hangs a big wicker basket. Since the moment I met her, I've been crushing on her.

"Hey there, Kit. Hello, I'm Nadine Parson, and I work at the restaurant," she offers Chris a hand to shake. "Row told me to make lunch for two. I know what Kit likes to eat, so I made him his usual."

"I'm not picky and eat pretty much everything," Chris says as he receives the basket. Him, not me.

"I placed the trail ride snacks in your fridge. Enjoy your lunch and don't forget to return the basket," she says to Chris, then walks back.

Chris follows her with his gaze as she leaves. I clear my throat to call his attention.

"We should eat," I say in a dry tone.

I'm not sure now if hiring Chris is a good idea. Not if it means I will lose the little attention I get from Nadine.