First Breed

They trudged ahead for 3 days, with nothing in their way but weakness. John heard a buzzing voice in his head chanting, "Swim to me, prove your strength, swim to me, prove your strength..." the voice gave John empowerment. It caused him to race ahead, dragging his tired allies along with him.

  "John!" Panted Bichop. "I'm about to faint... where is the lab, anyway?"

  "By the Corobite clan," John lied. The lab was actually the opposite direction, John just needed to find Santa Lea first, at the Corobite clan. And, though he felt guilty about it, he needed to ditch Samana and Bichop. They couldn't get turned into a human with him. They had to stay with the Bilatrin.

  "John, I need to tell you something." Samana stopped in her tracks, and so did John.

  "Don't listen to her, John," Said Bichop. He was sounding genuinely worried. He looked over at Samana. "Samana, remember the Great One's warning!"

  "I don't care about the stupid warning!" She cried. "I just don't want John to die!"

  "Wait, what?"

  "No, Samana! Apologize to the great one!" Samana ignored Bichop. Instead she ran over to John. A quick wind was picking up around Samana, her pitch-black hair swimming around her deep, worried eyes.

  "John-" A flash of white light, a gurgling scream, and Samana was gone.