Chapter 6

R. I. L. E. Y.

I decide to walk home to avoid Lucas for the rest of the day. I'm probably never going to forget that embarrassing moment. Why of all people, did it have to happen to me? I sigh loudly and breathe in the soft air.

I was getting stares from everyone at school today. Uncomfortable was what i was feeling half the time.

Even if the light is still out, i hate walking alone. Maya suggested that Lucas and i spend some time together and i said yes, because we have our art project due next week.

Lucas is coming over tomorrow,  i think. I don't want him to and I certainly think my dad wouldn't want him to.

I look up at the clouds and blue sky and think of all the memories i had before Lucas messed everything up. I think about how happy i was and how loneliness never invaded my life.

I'm nearly at my house now, and I don't have to worry about walking alone. I smile quietly to myself.

I hear something behind me. A shiver runs down my back and i shrug it off like nothing happened. I turn around once but nothing is behind me. I walk faster. Now I'm scared.

I walk faster and faster but i keep hearing noises like footsteps. I stop in mid air. I breathe deeply and gulp. I'm not scared, i keep telling myself.

At this point i feel someone right behind. I shut my eyes for 3 seconds then open them again biting my lip. I take a deep breath and start to turn, slowly.

No one is there. I let out a sigh in relief. I feel like my heart stops. But that's when i hear it.

Snap.

A twig.

I scream and find a hand over my mouth. I shriek and struggle to get the hand off of me.  I keep screaming and my head hurts.

The hand comes off of my mouth and i turn around

Lucas.

What a douche. I though i was getting kidnapped. I thought i was going to die. He's going to pay.

"It's ok, it's just me." He says trying to calm me down. Just him? He does understand that i hate him, doesn't he?

That's when i don't think. My hand flies across the air and slaps him in the face. Oops. Reflex I guess.

He holds his face and my hand is red. That's what he deserves.

"You son of a bitch! I thought i was getting kidnapped!" I yelled. I could see his face reddening. It felt good to slap him, then why do i feel so guilty?

"Sorry! I was going to ask if you wanted to do the project now. I have baseball practice tomorrow." He shrieked in pain. I rolled my eyes.

"So you think the best way to ask me is to scare the shit out of me?!" I ask really loudly.

"My phone is dead and i put my hand over your mouth because there are people in their houses. They'll obviously be annoyed." He said taking his hand away from his face. It wasn't as red as before but it's still bright as ever.

I look at him in disgust and give up. "Fine, but if you do it again you're dead," i say deadly. He better watch his back.

He nods and the rest of the 2 minute walk is silent. No body brings up what just happened.
+
We're finally at my house and i open the door for us to enter. It's almost always open since my dad forgets to lock it. Typical.

My mom observes Lucas. Eye to eye. She then speaks after i put my bag on the couch.

"I'm Topanga. We haven't met before, have we?" My mom says, reaching her hand out for Lucas to shake. He gladly does, and gives her the cheesiest smile.