Chapter 2 - Checking In

Start from the beginning

"How did the interviews go?"

"A few were remarkable. I guess you need amusing people for an entertainment team," he smiles knowingly. "Huritt can start soon with the full activity program."

"When the camping opens, we will need to have the evening program in place. I hope we pass the inspection soon. People were asking about camping bookings during the soft opening in the last months. For this week, we have 36 out of the 40 houses booked," I look at the reservation system on my tablet.

"It's going better than I imagined. I will offer last-minute rates on the website and see if we can fill those," he pats my shoulder and heads up to his office.

Istu always finds ways to be helpful. On the days when I doubt on whether we are doing the right thing, he's always there for me, financial facts in hand, positive ideas and kind words.

A lady from the front-desk hands me a reservation she can't find. We are still trying online booking websites and come across small mistakes from time to time. I smile at the senior couple in front of me.

"Welcome to Gray Wolf Ranch, Mr... And Mrs. Rogers," I look up from their reservation paper. "Bear with me for a moment while I locate the reservation."

"You have quite a pretty place here. Nothing like this around the valley. How many houses?" Mr. Rogers asks.

"We are proud of our 40 lodges and soon we will have 200 camping spots available. This building houses the lobby and an information center where you can book tours," I point at the counter behind them. "To the right of the staircase is the supermarket, a kid's club, a restaurant and a laundry room."

"Impressive. From the outside it doesn't look so large, but now I see it," Mrs. Rogers peeks around the staircase and see what I mean.

"We tried to use the space efficiently to leave more room for nature."

And I mean it. The uneven layout of the property results from trying to move as few trees as possible.

"Your reservation is confirmed. You have lodge number five, which is located here," I mark it on a paper map for them. "This building here has a swimming pool, a spa, and a multi-use event area. If you like horses, you can visit the stables and the vegetable and fruit gardens next to it. We also have a barn for a few cows and goats, and a chicken coop. We use the milk and eggs in our restaurant. Here is your welcome pack and your key. Come to us with any questions and enjoy your stay."

The elderly couple leaves happily, and it fills me with warm memories of Grandma and Grandpa. He was a member of the Fox tribe and cherished his cultural heritage. When coming up with ideas for the ranch, we all agreed on honoring our late grandfather by displaying arts and crafts made by members of his tribe throughout the whole property.

Kitchi enters the lobby carrying a basket covered with a cloth and some mothers hold their children closer. His long hair is wild and loose today, and he has dirt stains on his hunter green overalls.

"I'm done with most of my chores," he comes to the side of the front desk. "Only the animal feeding tonight. Do you need me to do anything?"

"Not much to do at the moment, but answer questions and find lost reservations. What do you have in the basket?"

Kitchi stares at the basket and then at nowhere in particular. I have the idea that he isn't feeling well lately. Maybe the stress of the opening is getting to him. I take the basket from his hands and open the cloth to find strawberries and asparagus.

"The first harvest of the season," he suddenly says. "I'm bringing them upstairs for us. They are not enough to be served at the restaurant. Maybe Huritt can use them tonight for dinner."

"Good idea. Kit, two people have asked me if we do trail rides. Is that possible? I know the animals and the patch take most of your day."

"Sure, I will be happy to take them down to the river through the mountain. The horses will love a good walk."

In the months before the official opening, Kitchi explored the mountain and forest area that surrounds the ranch. It's a great way to exercise our horses, and we discussed it as an additional entertainment option for our guests.

"Thanks, baby bro," I pat his cheek and stare into his tired eyes. "I will call them. I also promise I will get help soon for you at the farm."

Kitchi heads upstairs to our apartment and Huritt limps slightly as he returns to the front desk.

"Are you in pain?" I ask as he stretches his hips.

"Just a little. I've been walking around a lot. Don't give me that guilty face, Row, and hand me another box."

I compose myself. "You will have your hands full."

"Yeah, it will be busy. I'm so glad Amy has the activities for today ready. She will show them some dance moves, so they are ready for the mini disco tonight. Are you going to be there?"

"You know I can't dance," I laugh.

"I can't either, but the kids just like to jump around," he grins and returns to his task.

"Mr. Marshall, I have another one here that I can't find," says one of the ladies working at the front desk.

"All right," I check on the deeper level of the reservation system and can't find Mrs. Olson's reservation.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Olson. I'm afraid your reservation took a detour. Would you be so kind as to come with me upstairs to our office? I can have a detailed look into the system and help you check in."

"Sure, give me a second to ask my daughter if she wants to come along. She's taking a walk outside."

Mrs. Olson returns with a woman around my age. As we walk inside the shared office, Istu gives me a small smile.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'm Rowtag Marshall and this is my brother Istu. Did you have a good trip here?" Mrs. Olson shakes my hand, but her daughter only looks at it on her turn.

"Eventful," she holds her daughter's hand and places it on mine. The woman seems to take the hint and shakes it. She looks exhausted. "We drove for almost three hours, because I got lost, and then I got a flat tire."

"I'm sorry to hear that," I say as I type on my keyboard. "We will make sure you get plenty of rest here. When you are ready to return home, I can have a mechanic check your car to make sure everything is in order and together we can look for the best route."

"Thanks, Mr. Marshall."

"Call me Rowtag. I still find it odd when people call me Mr.," I chuckle.

I make a thorough search based on the date she made the reservation and sure enough; it comes up. We need to have a word with the relations manager from VacationPlus, as this is not working properly.

"Got your reservation. Three weeks with us."

"Yes, we need peace, away from the busy city," she looks at her daughter who nods and gives her a small smile.

"Well, Gray Wolf Ranch is the perfect place for that. Let me get your key and guides."

I go downstairs and complete the check in, then walk upstairs again to hand Mrs. Olson her house key.

"Here are the keys to lodge number twelve. I hope you have a pleasant stay, and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to come to me. We live here behind the office so we are always around," I point at the double doors at the back of the office.

"I need to lie down," Mrs. Olson's daughter whispers.

"Sure, darling. Thanks, Rowtag," she says and supports her daughter as they walk down the stairs.

After seeing them leave safely towards the path of their lodge, I'm left wondering what is going on with her and how I can help.