Toxic

It was lunchtime here in Mystic Falls High School and I had no idea who I should sit with. Of course, Stefan and I were on better terms now that Nik had saved Damon. But the others were still a little unhappy to be around me as if I was betraying their trust. I sighed and turned to walk out of the cafeteria with the tray in my hands, I'd just sit outside by myself like I usually did. Somewhere between hiding my phone so I could text Nik and nibbling on the apple in my hand, someone sat across from me at the metal table.

"What's your name?" The feminine voice asked, making me look up with a raised eyebrow since I recognized her as Nik's sister.

"Ashley Darko," I introduced myself as politely as possible, "but I'm guessing you already knew that?"

"My brother spent most of our family evening talking about you when we had much more important things to discuss. He wants us all to get to know you. Seems like he wants us to be friendly."

"Friendly? You look at me like that's the last thing on your mind when I'm involved."

"Listen to me very closely, my brother is hundreds of years old and he's never been in love before. What kind of spell do you have on him?" She asked, making me laugh loudly at her ridiculous acquisition.

"A spell? Are you serious?"

"As a heart attack. He has no reason to be head over heels in love with you."

"I'm his girlfriend."

"My brother doesn't have girlfriends."

Before I could say anything else to her, someone standing beside us cleared their throat. We both turned to see Stefan standing there with Caroline, Bonnie, Elena, and Tyler. I sighed and Rebekah rolled her eyes. She stood up and walked away without any further prompting. They all sat at the table around me, the whole thing feeling very confrontational.

"Is something going on?" I asked in confusion while I looked over at all of them.

"Why was she talking to you?" Elena asked from where she was sitting beside me.

"She wanted to know who I was. I guess Nik told his family about us and now they're all curious as to who I am."

"The curiosity that comes from that family usually ends in murder." Stefan mumbled below his breath.

"Are you forgetting that thanks to Nik, your brother is still alive?" I reminded.

"I know, and I'm definitely grateful. I just don't want you to actually get involved in this."

"Look, my sister met him and she liked him-"

"-Olivia isn't exactly the best judge of character."

"Did you talk to Damon at all after Nik and I helped him?"

"Well," Stefan began before pausing and sighing since he didn't want to admit to it, "Yes, I talked to him."

"And what did he say?"

"He said that Klaus was different around you and that Klaus was acting as if you were the most important thing in his life. But-"

"-there is nothing to say 'but' about. Nik is a good boyfriend that treats me like a princess and that's all that matters. I don't care what he's doing to other people." I got up, grabbed my books and walked away so I could go back inside.

I walked to my locker and looked confused when I saw that someone had taped a paper to the front of it in order to advertise the decade's dance that was this weekend. I smiled while I read through the paper and I took a picture of it so I could send it to Nik and tell him I wanted to go. He called me the second he got the picture.

"Princess, you must be joking." He groaned out over dramatically as he dreaded the idea of attending, "A decades dance? I was around for all of those decades. Trust me, the attire does not get any better as you go back in time."

"I think it'll be fun, Nik. I really want to go." I said, he stayed quiet for a moment or two, "Please?"

"I guess we can go if you really want to. You're sure you want to go?"

"Of course." I grabbed my books for homework and walked out of the building since Nik would be here to pick me up soon, I had no classes after lunch.

"Well, I suppose we can go as long as I decide what decade."

A smile spread across my face. I hung up once I saw his expensive car right in front of me. I got into the car and kissed him sweetly once the passenger door was closed.

"I can't wait for the dance on Friday." I said in an excited tone that made him groan over dramatically as I teased him purposefully while I settled into my seat, he was obviously just teasing me.

"Just four days until my girlfriend subjects me to a high school dance." He whined before pecking my lips again, "I guess this is what I get for being in love with an eternal nineteen year old."

When he pulled away, he started driving while I rambled on and on about the dance. He wasn't sure what decade he'd be picking but he said he'd get me whatever I needed for the outfit. We were going to his place because he needed to take care of something but then we'd both be going out for some drinks.

"What about the 20's? You could be my little flapper for a night?" He suggested teasingly, making me laugh and nudge him playfully. "Or maybe something from the 90's? Mini-skirts and grunge must have looked amazing on you."

"Nik, don't pick a decade just because of the short skirts and the possibility of you getting flashed on the dance floor."

"Damn, you figured out my whole plan."

I rolled my eyes playfully and he pulled into the driveway of the estate. We walked up to the front door and before I realized what was happening, I was over Nik's shoulder.

"Nik! If you're going to carry me into the house, at least do it romantically." I whined more, making him laugh while he picked up my bag with my books.

He carried me upstairs and plopped my slim body down onto his bed once we were in his room. I raised an eyebrow and he shook his head while I looked around the room a bit. I had only been in his bedroom once or twice before and it was absolutely gorgeous, decorated with ornate and glittering objects as if he was showing off his outstanding wealth.

"I have a meeting going on downstairs with some people. Stay here and make yourself at home. We'll leave once I'm done. Okay, princess?" He had a hand on either side of my face and I was blushing a bit while I nodded.

He pecked my lips and walked out. I lay on my stomach, reading through one of the school books just to make sure I would get the right answer even though I was already pretty certain. Just a few minutes later, I heard yelling and crashing going on downstairs so I curiously got up and walked to the door so I could eavesdrop a bit at the same time that I heard the distinctive noise of Nik snapping someone's neck, probably a hybrid that wasn't obeying his every order. I made an excuse to go downstairs and get a drink, tip toeing so I wouldn't make too much noise on the stairs.

"Princess, don't bother, I know you're coming down." I heard Nik say with an exhausted sigh slipping from him.

I bit my lip while I walked in, and I looked at the room around me. His face was red, his hands were clenched into fists with blood smeared all over them, and he looked angrier than I'd ever seen him before.

"What do you want?" He asked me angrily while wiping his blood-stained hands off with a small hand towel, making me raise an eyebrow at what he said since he never spoke to me with that tone.

"I just came down to get a drink, I didn't mean to bother you." I mumbled softly while looking down and picking at my chipped nail polish a bit.

"Well, you're bothering me. Go to the kitchen and get your drink. I told you that I'm busy."

The eyes of everyone in that room were suddenly focused on me and Nik. The tension in the air was thick and he was still looking down at his hands. I was confused. I'd never felt this way before, like he was more powerful and domineering than I was. He looked up from his hands then groaned.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Go get what you need from the kitchen. I need you out of the room so I can focus." He said, making me roll my eyes again.

I walked out and walked across the hall into the kitchen. I really hoped that he wasn't like this with me often. I loved Nik. But I loved him when he was sweet, and caring, and calling me princess. I didn't have any feelings for him when he was acting this way. He wasn't showing me the love and attention that I was already used to receiving from him. I sat at the counter and took little sips from the cup in my hand, getting lost in my thoughts and inner debates on whether or not this was actually a good idea. A few minutes later, Nik walked into the room with a scowl on his face and I sighed. Even if Damon had been right about Nik, I could never let him know the truth.

AN: I had to take a small break yesterday but I am back to daily updates!!!

I also need some more feedback