Fifteen

"Alyssa, we should get back." I say, and it's weird saying her full name. "Dinner."

"You guys don't eat dinner until, like, 10 literally." She retorts and she has a point.

I sigh, crossing my arms over my chest. Why does she have to be here when we're talking? I'm not that comfortable. She gets the vibe and then steps away somewhere.

"Oh, this is where you got your jewelry." She points at the store and then goes inside.

I blow out a breath, looking down, waiting for him to say something. He always does this. He always make sit awkward by staying silent.

"How've you been?" He asks, finally.

I look up with him with a pokerface, "how do you think?" I reply, monotone.

I shouldn't sound all sad because I'm mostly okay. I should just act like everything is normal and good without him, so he knows that I don't want him back. Because it's true. I don't.

"I've been great." I put on a fake smile.

His eyebrows furrow together, "really?"

"Yup, gotta go." I turn from his eye contact and quickly try to get Lyss out of the store.

Jack grabs my arm and I hate when he does that! He always does that when he wants to 'just talk' and he knows I don't want him to touch me. Why can't he just call my name like a normal person?

I walk into Cartier and I know Jack is following behind me. I see Lyss with a sale associate. She looking at the LOVE display, too. Even more irony. I walk up next to her and she's silently asks me if we worked it out, I shake my head and she rolls her eyes.

"I'm getting this bracelet." She points at the black silk cord one.

I raise my eyebrows. She has a well paying job, so yeah, she can afford it and even if she didn't, she's so spoilt. Her parents would just buy it for her, specifically her dad. I look at the display, too, and spot a bracelet.

I quickly look away hoping Jack didn't notice me eyeing it because I know he'd buy it if he saw me and then we'd just fight over money all over again. After Lyss pays, she puts on the bracelet and it's cute.

"Can we just talk, please?" I hear Jack and I turn to him.

Fuck, I forgot he was here. I give in, knowing that he won't leave me alone if I don't speak with him. He has a box and I know he just bought that. I want to smack it out of his hand. Like a good person, Lyss leaves us alone once again.

"Promise ring?" He says as more of a question, holding up a ring similar to the ones I had. "I am sorry for always using the money excuse against you when I know you hate it. I promise to stop."

Okay... I didn't think this is where this conversation was going.

"I can't take it because you're just gonna bring it up again sometime we argue."

"Hello? This is what it's for, for me to not bring it up and I promised not to." He clarifies.

He grabs my right hand and puts it on my right ring finger, because we're not married. He gives me a small smile and I give up. I smile back and him and wrap my arms around his neck. I would've forgiven him even if he didn't buy me the ring.

"Want to come over?" I bravely ask, knowing my dad is home.

He nods his head and then grabs my hand. I forgive him too easily, but I can't help it. I do genuinely love him, but I won't say it because he'll assume it's the money, but I've been spending so much time with him, the feelings just sprouted.

When Lyss sees us, a grin grows on her face, she looks at our hands and her grin grows even bigger.

"I knew you guys would work it out." She cockily says and then stares at her bracelet.

I hold up my hand and show her my ring. Her mouth opens and her jaw hits the floor.

"No way."

"Yes, way." I laugh. "Let's go back to my house now, Jack's coming with."

*

We're all sitting at the dinner table, my mom's working late today. She always is and it kind of upsets me since she's never around. It's my dad, my brother, Jack, Lyss, and me.

"Jack, this is my dad, and my brother, Kaiden." I introduce him to them and he greets them.

"Cam's never brought a boy over for dinner." Kaiden blurts and I kick him under the table and he dodges it. "Except for that one guy Dylan."

Jack reaches over to possessively put his hand on my thigh. I take a bite of my food and listen to the discussion.

"So, Jack." My dad starts. "Do you have a job? Or do you go to college? Is that a little too forward?" He rambles.

My dad goes on with an interrogation and Jack's comfortable with it. He's not nervous, he's simply answering the questions that get thrown at him. I start a side conversation with Lyss.

"He's a keeper." She whispers to me and I roll my eyes at her.

"Are you guys like a thing?" Kaiden asks me and Jack.

"No, K." Lyss sarcastically says.

Lyss uses nicknames for us because she's like family, but my family calls her by her real name not her nickname that I call her. My brother puts his hands up in defense.

"I was just wondering." He says.

"Sir," Jack says to my dad. "Am I allowed to date your daughter?"

Holy fuck, why would you ask my dad? Jack and I just got over a bump and now he wants to date-date?

"We've come this far without me killing you, why not?" My dad jokes and Jack let's out a forced and nervous chuckle.

Jack then turns to me, "Camila, will you be my girlfriend?" He smiles.

{vote, comment, share}