Chapter 16 - A new side to Eric

"Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious."

          I stirred around dawn, the watch around my wrist only portrayed 06:34am

          I stirred around dawn, the watch around my wrist only portrayed 06:34am. It was early, too early for Four to come and wake us, which normally would happen around 08:00am. Stretching my arms over my head to relieve some of the soreness within me, I rose into a sitting position, tossed the covers aside and swung my feet out over the edge of the bed. The cold air engulfed me instantly and I shivered.

I reached for my trousers, quickly putting my feet in the pant holes before standing up, pulling them over my rump. It was no small accomplishment getting dressed in silence. Really feeling like I had made to much noise already, I grabbed my shoes and Eric's sweater before tiptoeing out of the accommodation.

The floor was extremely cold, and it went directly though the fabric of my socks. I was shivering when I pulled my shoes on, burying my feet in their warmness before disappearing down the hallway. Eric's sweater was still in my hand as I walked towards the training room. It had just been washed and his cologne was no longer as strongly woven into the fabric, though I could still get a small hints of it. It had been disgusting after my two runs a few days ago and in need of a wash.

I hadn't secured my shoes properly, so once inside the training room, I tossed myself down onto one of the elevated training mats where I placed Eric's sweater beside me before returning my attention to my shoes. I hadn't sat there long when a shiver went through me. I was feeling like someone was watching me.

Slowly releasing my shoes, I straightened my back and turned my head over my right shoulder. My face now mere inches from someone else's. "Boo—" Eric smirked. A scream left my lips and I scrambled to my feet while my hand securely wrapped around the sweatshirt, pulling it with me as I stood.

"What the hell is your problem?" I snapped before swinging the sweater at him. Eric cracked up even more while protectively holding his arms up. It wasn't the smile I had found the strangest, it was the fact that I had managed to hit him with the sweater but also the fact that I had done it in the first place. Eric was my instructor, the leader of my faction, but apparently also an ordinary person underneath it all.

Eric was still chuckling when he walked around me, dumping a bag on the floor next to the plywood targets. I heaved a defeated sigh, watching him as he pulled the objects out from within the bag. Guns. I raised an eyebrow as he turned back to me. "You're in for a treat today, though I specifically remember Four saying he wouldn't wake you up yet for at least another hour." Eric leaned against the table and checked the watch on his wrist. "So, indulge me, what the hell are you doing here?"

Frowning, I try to decide whether I should answer him honestly or try my luck, I quickly decide on the latter. "I'm only here to annoy you." I try, to the great surprise of Eric. It takes a while before he regains himself, then he laughs. A wholeheartedly laugh. It makes me wonder if he's not all that bad.