Chapter 30

“You’re just like your Papous.” Gema said grudgingly when they’d gotten back to the yacht later that afternoon. Vistos smiled faintly at her. 

“I hope so.”

“Your grandmother died when you were young?”

Vistos nodded. “I was only five, I believe. I cried and cried at first, but my father…..” Vistos lost the smile and shook his head. “Papous Stavros let me cry with him when no one was around. Just him and me.”

Gema glanced at Vistos beside her as they stood at the helm, looking down at the water below as the yacht sliced through it. He’d never shared something like that with her before, and on impulse Gema covered his hand on the railing with hers. Vistos stiffened at first, then relaxed gradually and let his thumb rub the side of her hand briefly. 

“He’s a great man.” Gema said softly, and Vistos slipped his fingers through hers and held tight. Such a simple thing, holding hands. 

“I don’t think we’ve ever held hands before.” Gema said, laughter in her voice, and Vistos looked down at their entwined fingers. 

“That’s because you’ve always been afraid of me.” He said wearily, and Gema scoffed. 

“I am not afraid of you-”

“You are, cara.” He turned his back to the railing, facing her, pulling her body against his seamlessly, and Gema struggled as he only held her tighter. 

“See? You fight immediately, instinctively, even though you know I wont hurt you.”

Gema stopped wriggling, and just stared at Vistos’ chest in front of her. He chuckled, and she could feel the laughter against her chest, and it made her start squirming again. “You are, perhaps, more afraid of how I make you feel, than of me, hm?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Gema said stubbornly as she willed her body to stop responding to him. 

“Non? Well that’s a shame.”

Vistos loosened his hold on her, and Gema stepped back a little, lifting her head to speak, and he kissed her soundly. Gema resisted him at first, then his hand was cradling her neck as his other latched onto her waist, and Gema felt herself giving up the fight, giving into Vistos, into what she’d wanted since he’d walked back into her life. She was breathless, dizzy, barely conscious of the small sounds coming out of her throat, of her hands tunneling through his hair, clinging to his shirt, exploring his back with her hands. Vistos pulled himself from her, and Gema’s eyes opened to half mast, looking up at him sleepily, and he growled. 

“Don’t look at me like that, cara, or I’ll take you right now against the wall.” 

Gema blinked, realizing they were in plain view of any passing boats and the crew themselves. With a small gasp, Gema righted her clothes and turned to flee inside, but Vistos grabbed her arm and pulled her back against him.

“Non, not so fast that you forget what you felt, that you shut down from it. You want me, cara, and you’ll have me. Now go below deck, and change into something to swim in.” Gema went down the stairs, locking herself into the bedroom and leaning against the door, breathing hard. She was in trouble. She was in deep. 

“Oh God, but he‘s just so adorable!” Gema whispered, and bit her lip, trying to remember the last time she was so excited by the threat of having her clothes ripped off. 

“Are you sure you don’t have to do any work?” Gema asked Vistos as they lounged on the private beach of his beach house in Crete. Vistos smiled wearily at her as he rubbed lotion into his shoulders and the top of his back.