Chapter 27

Chapter 27

“Would you like some fruit, Kai?” Vistos offered him the hundredth item of food, to which Kai shook his head, his arms crossed, frowning and in a foul mood. Gema said nothing, letting Vistos struggle to placate Kai. He wanted to be a father all of a sudden! He suddenly had such a great compassion to be a father that he had to kidnap them, then go ahead, have at it! Vistos flashed her a look, asking for help, and Gema merely raised her hands innocently and sipped her orange juice. Vistos sighed and forced a smile. “You must eat something, Kai-” 

“If you’re mio papa, then where have you been?” Kai suddenly demanded, and they both froze. Gema’s eyes widened staring at Kai, and Vistos’ face dropped in surprise. He looked at Gema for help, and she came to the rescue, speaking softly to Kai. 

“Honey-”

“I know he is” Kai said defiantly. “I heard you talking. Where were you?” Kai demanded of Vistos again, and Vistos cleared his throat. 

“I’ve been in Italy, Kai, here.” 

“Doing what? Do you have another son?” Kai asked, his eyes suddenly becoming large. 

“Non, you are my only child” Vistos sighed and put down the fruit bowl. “It is complicated…..” he mused, leaning back in his chair and surveying Kai like an adult. “I wasn’t there, when you needed me, and for that I have no excuse. But perhaps, you could allow me to be your father now that I am here?” 

Kai thought about that, his eyes studying the table as he did. Gema held her breath, waiting to see what Kai’s response would be. He finally lifted his head with a curt nod. “Only if it’s okay with mom. There’s not a lot of space in our flat, but maybe she’ll let you stay in her room. She has a huge bed” kai said with a smile, and Vistos let his eyes slide to Gema. 

“Is that right” He mused, Gema’s cheeks turning a bright pink. “And tell me, does your mom often have people stay in her bed?” 

“Really Vistos-!” Gema exclaimed, and Kai shook his head strongly. 

“No, we don’t get too many visitors. Just Mark, and Kate…oh and Zia Lana, and even then not very often-” 

“Lana!” Vistos exclaimed, his eyes fixing on Gema fiercely. She winced, and tried not to meet his eye. “Kai, perhaps you would like to go with Rosa to see the horses” 

“Okay!” Kai ran off with Rosa, and left Vistos and Gema in the tense silence that followed. Vistos stood up from his chair and looked out the patio doors to the pool outside. Gema swallowed before starting. 

“Well, if you’re going to chew me out-”

“Chew you out?!” Vistos whirled on her, dangerously close, his hands on either side of the table in front of her, leaning across it towards her. “I could strangle you right now!” He hissed, his accent thickening as his rage increased.  “Am I the only one who did not know of my own son’s existence?!” 

Gema lifted her chin defiantly. “You knew I was pregnant and chose to push me out of your life. But Lana is the only one who knew anything of it.” She muttered with a shrug. 

It was silent for a while, then he spoke quietly. “Was she there when he was born?” Gema nodded deftly and Vistos let out an oath before twisting away from her. Fed up, Gema simply threw up her arms in a surrender. 

“I don’t know why you’re so upset about this, Vistos, you turned your back on us, not the other way around-”

“Non, that is not how I remember it.” Vistos insisted, still looking out over his vast backyard. “You left me no choice, Gema.”