ch. 7 & 8

Chapter 7

She knew what she had to do. It made her nervous, queasy, and a bit ashamed of herself, but Gema knew what she had to do. She called in sick to work and then took a nice long shower. She carefully selected an outfit, finally going with a pencil skirt and a deep red dress shirt, a belt cinched at the waist and black heels. Gema put her hair up into a bun and went downstairs to get a taxi, to Borden & Stakolopous Enterprises. 

Hitting her hand against her purse over and over, Gema was decidedly nervous. She had never been to the office without Doug, and it felt strange to be going there without the purpose of seeing him. With the help of the directory, she found her way to the floor she needed, and approached the secretary’s desk. Gema noticed just how beautiful she was, how she looked Gema up and down and smiled faintly, insincerely, and Gema immediately knew this was the typical kind of woman Vistos Stakolopous dated. Blonde, blue eyed, a size 1 and an IQ to match, Gema seriously reconsidered the rash plan that had formulated in her mind over night. 

“Hello, can I help you?” The secretary asked, and Gema cleared her throat. 

“Yes, I’d like to speak to Mr. Stakolopous”

“Do you have an appointment?” 

Gema’s confident wavered, what if he was in a meeting? What if he wasn’t even in the office today? “Ah…no, I don’t”

“WHo should I say it is?” 

“Um, Gema, Gema Dodge” 

“Hold on one second.” 

The secretary picked up the phone and spoke into it quietly, then set it down and turned to Gema. “He’s in a meeting, but if you’d like to wait you are more than welcome to” 

“Thank you” 

Gema took a seat and glanced at her watch. How long could this meeting really take? 

25 minutes later, Gema was fuming. How dare he keep her waiting this long? He’s the one who called her and insisted she have dinner with him! He’s the one who’s been essentially stalking her, showing up at whatever functions she goes to, and now he’s making her wait, like another one of his random bimbos? Oh no, she didn’t have to stand for this. Gema stood up, intending to leave, when Vistos’ voice came over the speaker in harsh tones, and the secretary told her she could go in. Her anger did not dissipate as she opened his door and walked in, and Gema began ranting as soon as the door was closed and she was standing by his desk, glaring at Vistos in his Armani suit, impeccably tailored. 

“How dare you leave me sitting out there all that time? Do you have any-”

“I was in a meeting, Gema, I can’t just drop everything I am doing to attend to you, I have a life.” Vistos snapped back at her, and Gema normally would have shut up, but she found herself egged on with Vistos, as she always did. 

“Oh do you? Tell me, what did this meeting entail, all the big names of the company getting together to talk about how often they take their secretaries to bed?” 

Vistos raised an eyebrow, challenging her with a smirk. “Are you jealous that I’ve had other women in my bed? Because, cara, I don’t think there is anything we can do to dispel your discomfort. There have been many before you”

“Oh, I’m well aware that there have been ‘many before me’, Vistos, tell me, how long-”

“Mio dio, I love the way you say my name” His voice was a husky whisper, and Gema took a step back, caught off guard. Vistos stared at her intently, then he whirled around to face the window, shoving his hands into his pockets. “What do you want” he snapped at her, and Gema sighed.