chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Gema, what in the world are you wearing?"

"You don't like it?" Gema asked Doug, surprised. She looked down at her white cargo pants and black and white print blouse, heels on her feet and a black cardigan in her hand. Doug looked her up and down and shrugged.

"it's a bit sexy"

"I'm sorry I'll change, I thought you'd like it" Gema was terrified of upsetting him again, but Doug smiled at her and took her hand gingerly.

"it's fine, Gema, just don't bend over or you'll give everyone a real show. But I do wish you'd put your hair up"

"okay" gema agreed quickly, and Doug smiled as they walked down to the car.

The party was at Vanessa's, and only the biggest couples in society would be there. Gema was more nervous than ever, scared of upsetting Doug and of the party. Vanessa made a point of frowning at Gema's pants, which only made Gema's spirits plummet even more.

"if you don't start smiling and acting like you're happy to be getting married, you may end up far more unhappy than you are now" Doug hissed is her ear, his hand applying just too much pressure to her own, and Gema tried not to flinch from the pain as she plastered in a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Well, what a surpise!" Vanessa's usually sickly sweet voice cracked as she spoke, and Gema turned to look at the source of Vanessa's discomfort, and found her own. Striding into the room in impeccable style, Vistos strode towards them, his movements direct, powerful, and utterly sensual. Gema tried to avert her eyes from his frame in his cream colored sweater and black trousers, but he made it difficult. His mess of hair was falling over his foread in ringlets, and he ran his hand through it absently as he came to rest in front of Vanessa.

"Well yes, I imagine my attendance would be a surprise to you Vanessa, seeing as how my invitation was somehow lost in the mail." his usually warm voice had an air of aloof and coldness. "but, one of the perks of being me, is never needing an invitation"

The guests around them chuckled before drifting away and Vanessa forced a laugh before Vistos turned his eyes on Gema and Doug.

"Vistos" Doug addressed him stiffly, and Vistos nodded to him. "I don't believe you've met my fiancé, Gema" Doug's voice was smug as Gema mumbled a how do you do, cutting her off. "we're to be married in two months"

"Yes, yes, so I've heard" Vistos drawled before catching Gema's hand in his and kissing the back of her hand, far more chaste than he had that afternoon, and she thought of his mouth, his faint atubble on her skin, made her blush.

"wait so" Gema hesitated, glancig at Doug, who's jaw was clenched, glaring at vistos. "You're related to Doug?"

Doug snorted now. "Hardly related"

"come now Doug!" vistos said wig a cruel smile. "we're brothers"

Before Geme could respond, Vanessa was ushering her away and Gema glanced over her shoulder to see Doug and Vistos engaged in a heated discussion.

"Come along Gema there's lots of people for you to meet!"

    Unable to get a second to herself, gema had little time to think of Doug and vistos being brothers. They were so radically different, none of their features favored, except for their height and even then Vistos was taller. Gema sipped her orange juice ruefully, wishing it was stronger, and suddenly a glass was being handed to her.

"you looked like you could use it" Gema looked up into hazel eyes, and steeled herself from reacting to him.

"thank you but no thank you-"