Sitting on the couch was David. He stood up though the second he saw me.

I took a moment to look him over. His grey striped shirt and tan pants were torn up and covered in what appeared to be soot. It didn’t look like the ash from the ovens though, maybe from coal?

His complexion was pretty good, his bright blue eyes still held the grief and exhaustion I had seen before. His hair was speckled with the soot and it was messier than I had ever seen it.

Like my mother, he seemed to have physically aged five or ten years. He had worry lines on his forehead, bags under his eyes and a stubble on his chin from not shaving for a week.

I had never expected to see him in the flesh, in front of me again. There was no fence separating us, no guards that would stop us from interacting.

He was alive! He had made it through selections! Some weight was lifted of my shoulders with this knowledge.

But what about the others?

Besides, David may not even want to talk to me after seeing Felix and I. He stood in his place, staring at me.

I took a breath, about to start explaining myself but he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me, lifting me off the ground. I was surprised but I did not hesitate to hold on to him as tightly as I could. I didn’t want to let go because I was scared he would be yanked away from me once more.

“I never thought I’d get to hug you again.” He whispered in a shaky voice.

“I know.” I murmured.

“Eliana,” Giselle said from the door. I hadn’t even noticed she was here as well. “We’ll be out in the conference room if you two need anything.”

“Hold on.” David carefully set me down and went to where Felix stood next to Giselle. I saw the anger coming back to him.

“David…” I grabbed his arm, seeing his clenched fist. I knew what he was about to try to do.

He easily shook free of my grasp and swung his fist back to punch Felix. But just before his fist could make contact, Felix grabbed his fist, stopping him.

They stared at each other, David was glaring and Felix seemed neutral. David was easily two inches taller than Felix but not quite as muscular.

“What kind of game are you trying to play here?” David asked him, yanking his fist out of Felix’s hold.

I stepped up, positioning myself slightly between them. Giselle had placed a hand on Felix’s shoulder.

“Let me explain.” I pleaded with David. “Nothing is his fault.”

He took a deep breath and met my eyes. He was trying to contain his anger and calm down. “Enlighten me.”

Taking his hand, I pulled him away from Felix and led him back to sit on the couch with me.

“Eliana?” Felix looked at me with a slight bit of worry in his eyes. He was still tense and very guarded since David tried to hit him. I think he was afraid David would lash out at me.

“I’m okay.” I smiled at him. “You can go out with Giselle.”

He hesitated but Giselle grabbed his arm and pulled him out.

I looked back at David who sat, waiting expectantly with his arms crossed.

“It’s not his fault that we are here, he had nothing to do with it.” I started.

“I got that part, what I didn’t get was that you are in love with an officer.” He said, dryly. His eyes scanned my expression carefully. “Am I wrong?”