HQ C.1: Former Days Of Glory

Summary: Daydreaming is better than learning.

Notes: i am really excited to publish this new fanfiction! I have been sitting on this idea for a while but finally, it's published!

(More Notes At The End Of The Chapter)

There is a common mistake in the world of sports, people believe a disability makes you weak. They believe that once you are broken you cannot be extraordinary. They obviously do not know the determination that is created from the word "Impossible."

The lights were bright; cameras flashed, and the court seemed so much smaller than it had in the past.

I grin spread across my face as I served yet another ball, and having failed to return the second serve the opposing team was forced to call a timeout.

I ran over to the bench, where I bounced onto our manager, a small brunette girl with massive round glasses, "Ichigo-chan! Did you see my last serve? It went like bam! Pew! Ka-pow!"

I jumped up and down and grinned at the girls' uncertain look, "Well done Angel, but please refrain from the jumping while you talk. I don't want to pick you off the floor again."

I halted mid-jump as my vice captain grabbed hold of my ankles causing me to fall onto my front.

"Ow Haru-chan that hurt." All I received was a glare.

So I did what she wanted me to do as a captain, I calmed down and went to sit down, closing my eyes with my head between my legs.

I was severely doubting that I would make it to the end of the match but with the knowledge that my team needed me more then ever, I pushed away my pain and continued to cheer them up by being carefree, whilst I concocted multiple attack and defence plans.

The buzzer went and I breathed out, forcing myself to jog normally back to the court.

"Go service ace! Serve them a good one!" I beamed at our libero, who's bright blue hair pinned off her face.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. Then throwing the ball high in the air I ran and jumped. Time seemed to pause as the ball moulded to my hand I quickly spotted the weak receiver by her stance.

The ball shot through the air and slammed onto the ground next to the girl, I could hear her groan from the opposite side of the court.

I went to serve another and bouncing the ball a few times throwing it in the air, I performed a floating serve towards the ace, who received it with her face.

"Free ball!"

I glanced at the score board, we were only 2 points away from victory with the opposition 3 behind us.

Quickly I got into position to set the ball and signalled for a second tempo attack.

I watched the three spikers run to the net and as I jumped watching the three blockers spread out with a slight flick of my wrist I sent the ball over to land straight on the court.

"Angel! Angel! Angel!"
"That's our girl!"

I looked behind me and waved at my fans whose cheers grew louder before getting kicked in the back of my legs by my vice captain.

We were a point away from our third consecutive win as a team but my mind was still whirring away.

I got back in position and watched the serve arch flawlessly over the net to be received by one of the top liberos who sent it to their setter to be ruthlessly spiked straight to our libero who passed it to our second setter who waited for a call.

I tried to stop myself from holding my breath and then when I finally felt that ball of lead in my stomach lighten, my hand rose in the air, a single beacon rallying all troops, "Last!"

I began my run up and when I was in the air i watched the three defenders jump with me but I continued to climb while they began their descent.

So when the ball landed in my palm fitting snugly for less than millisecond, I watched the court seem to open and in a daring act I sent the last hit to their captain.

As gravity grabbed hold of me and began to pull me back down I saw the red hot fury in that girl's face, as the ball landed on her outstretched forearms, spun, hit her in the face and bounced once, twice and then rolled slightly as everyone in the arena silenced.

Then I landed with a thud and dropped to my knees, as the stadium erupted into cheer. Then head in hands, I let out one single scream of pure joy before getting to my feet only to fall back down.

My team rushed toward me in fear but I couldn't feel a thing, my face hurting from a smile that would forever be engraved in my memory.

We formed a line and sent a bow to the spectators who all yelled my name while I continued to grin at them. Then we shook hands with the opposing team, the captain's was bloodied and her head was tilted back with a nose bleed. She squeezed my hand too tight and then pulled me so I was face to face with her.

"Be happy while you can be, being a pro in volleyball is impossible for a freak like you," her eyes held a nasty glint and as I drew back my fist ready to punch her, someone caught it mid-punch.

"Sam stop it. She's riling you up." It was Haru, so I let my fist relax and dropped my arm.

We were herded into a hall next to the gym where I was presented the tournament trophy.

The man looked at me and then smiled leaning down to whisper in my ear, "my daughters a big fan, thank you for showing her that anyone can be a hero."

I shook his hand with a curt nod and lifted the trophy above my head, "Winner of the National Girls Volleyball Championship is the Mikaku Girls team from Tokyo!"

I was pulled to the side by the reporter of the championship and faced with a huge camera, "Mikaku's infamous captain, Tenshi Samantha-san, more commonly known as Angel by her fans was born in England giving her the English nickname. Tenshi-San was awarded the best spiker award,came second for best blocker and came first for the best setter. You can see why she's managed to stack up quite the fan base. Next thing we'll know she'll be playing against boys! "

I watched the camera for a bit before sneaking away and back toward my team where I jumped onto Haru's back, for once she allowed me to stay there before I slid off.

She turned around and grabbed both my cheeks pulling them, "I'm so proud, you did it Angel."

"Third year's the charm." I winked at her before I was dragged off again, this time by fans who congratulated me as I sheepishly rubbed the back of my head.

"I'm so sorry guys I think my ride home is going to leave in a bit. But please don't stop supporting me, you guys and my team are the real reasons why I can stand here a winner." I grinned at them and was instantly tackled into a massive crying group hug.

"We're so proud Angel. Make sure you talk to us when you get back." A young girl grinned at me and I smiled back before untangling and dusting myself off before I headed towards the team who had left without me.

I jogged to catch up to them and clambered onto the bus last. I sat next to Haru who watched me put my headphones and turn off, cradling the new trophy that was to sit on my shelf proudly alongside many others like it.

My eyes creaked open and I let out a heavy sigh then glaring at the teachers back I glanced at the English novel on my desk that I had already read, then surveying the class i noticed that it seemed to be silent; all heads were down reading the book and then making notes.

Upon realising that I wasn't missing anything important, as usual, I settled my head back into my arms and closed my eyes to relive former days of glory.

25/10/15

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow

Notes: If you're into other animes you should go check out my two fanfics
• She's Not One of Us (Kuroko no Basket)
• The Imitator (Fairy Tail)
They are both however on hold as I am focusing mainly on this fic.
Feel free to check them out!