Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

Her heartbeat never failed to make my heart beat fast too.

I looked on her little sonogram, the first sonogram she had, it was memorable, it was the only one I choose to have.

"Good morning Valerie Maegan. Daddy loves you." I kissed on her sonogram and lay down on the carpeted floor. I did not want her to have complications because of me.

But even before I can sleep..."Vince..." A soft soothing voice called.

I immediately sit up, and looked at Monique's angelic face. My face looked down at her stomach too, seeing a little baby bump.

I felt happy and sad at the same time but then I did not let her see any emotions.

"Hey." I mutter.

"Why did you get up from bed?" She asked and walked near me.

"Don't Monique..." I said, causing her to stop.

"I'm sick, t-the...t-he baby might get it." I do not know if I should address it my baby, knowing in the end it will not really belong to me.

How I wish I could hold you in my arms my little baby.

She smiled and continued walking towards me to touch my forehead. "You're still sick."

Her eyes roam around Valerie Maegan's room. It was still pouring outside, stopping her from leaving the place. She walked beautifully around the place, looking through the pregnancy books I bought.

She scanned one of it and looked at me, "Oh you have read this one." I took notes, highlight some parts of the books I have read.

Actually, I have read half of the shelf already.

I manage to read them to prepare even before I knew she was pregnant. I wanted to personally know what to do and how to take care of them.

Too bad I learned the theories of it, but will never had a chance to personally do it.

"When did you renovate the nursery room?" She asked again.

I stood up, but away from her, fixing the little bunny on Valerie's "supposed to be crib"

" I renovated it a week after we first went here. By the way I bought this island and transferred the funds together with the proceeds of my business." I said, knowing it will not really matter.

What will she do with the place that was supposed to be her source of happiness but all she can remember here was her heartaches and bitterness?

She looked at me with wide eyes, like I have offended her.

What's the matter?

"Did you receive the divorce papers?" I asked, feeling the stabbing pain in my heart.

She nodded and looked away, continued on scrutinizing Valerie's room.

I wanted to ask her if she signed it already,

But then why ask if I know she already did?

"The guards told me mom called you."

"Mom cannot contact you. She has been worried..." She answered.

"Sorry about that. She should have not disturbed you. I just forgot my phone in I do not know where." I chuckled.

"If ever this will happen again, don't take the risk of looking for me too, I-I j-just did not want you to risk t-the baby... You should have just told her where this is and she can surely track it down... She knows Alexander anyway." I forced a chuckle.

She looked at me, like she was unhappy with what I said. Like she wanted to come here and see me. Like she was worried for me.

Was it the hormones attack? Did I offended her?

I sighed and looked away.

She's not yours anymore dude. There's another man who will take care of her already. In one month she is totally free.

It hurts to know those things, but I have already accepted my defeat.

It was a game over.

"Monique..." I called her attention, causing her to look at me.

"Are you going home today? C-can you stay? J-just right after the storm then...go back to New York. Don't worry you'll not see me around..."

I saw tears forming on her eyes. Damn! If I could just buy the rain to instruct it to stop then I will! She wanted to go now but I cannot do anything!

Being with her in one room, causing her tears again was making me want to kill myself.

I have not done anything right! I have never done anything right with her!

"Just stay until the storm stops." I mutter and walked away before I can see her cry again because of me.

I walked down and instructed them to prepare her a meal, plus the milk that I bought for pregnant woman.

I also bought different food supplements, which was not bad for babies, I told them to put it up to her, hoping that the meds she's taking was there.

I'm happy to know that those things I bought had sense, even a little bit.

I walked down on the underground cellar and spend my time there, killing time not to see Monique.

All I do was stress her out.

How I wish I could make the rain stop so she will stop hurting.

By only looking at me hurts her already, it was stressing her and our baby.

This was the consequence of my actions, no wife, no child to take care of.

But in a way, my hard works had paid off.

I provided a shelter for them, enough money to live their whole lives.

I hold on my back pocket, where I kept another sonogram of my little one.

"Daddy loves you baby." I mutter.

I stood up, and walked up after five hours of being hiding. I decided to sail and go away from the island.

The stress I'm causing her was too much already, my presence might be irritating her.

I know, someday, it was not only the fact that Valerie will have another daddy that will make it hard for me to accept, but also the fact that Monique will love another man, who deserves her.

But with what I did to her. She does not deserve to be with me.

She wanted freedom. And maybe that was the only right thing I did in her life. To gave her that freedom.

"Be careful in bringing her back to New York. Ready the chopper it will be safer that way." I instructed.

"Yes sir. But where are you going sir? We need to accompany you. It is pouring hard outside sir it is dangerous."

I patted his shoulder and said, "You still have a family waiting for you to go home."

"If Monique looks for me tell her I was sleeping or reading, bathing, or anything. Don't tell her I'm leaving."

I said walked my way out of the place.