Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Mark was already inside the coffee shop where we decided to meet.

Looking at him doesn't make me feel butterflies in my stomach.

But who knows? Maybe in the process I will fall too.

I sighed hard. I'll be doing this for my family. I will be happy in the end.

I get inside the cafe, he greeted me with a smile. He pulled a chair for me and offered for us to eat before discussing.

"How's Enrico?" He said, asking about my dad.

"He's recovering. I'm glad he's responding well on the medication."

"It's been a long time. I am glad to know your need of a husband, and volunteered myself." He smiled and I know he meant what he said.

"Sorry last time-"

"Don't." He said, stopping me mid-sentence.

"I don't want us to talk about what happened before." He said, holding my hand.

"I want us to start anew Monique." I looked at Mark, blessed to have a man like him in my life.

Starting today I'm going to pray that one day I will wake up, realizing I love him the way he loves me.

I half smiled at him, "I am truly happy. I badly need help on it."

It is true. I am happy, because fulfilling my parents wishes makes me feel happy.

"Can we talk about it now?" I asked.

He smiled and held my hand tighter, looking at me in the eyes. "I will be accepting all the proposals you had. One year then divorce, separate rooms, mind my own life, your freedom..."

"But I have 2 conditions to make. Let me spend my money for our wedding, and I wanted your dream wedding to happen in real life. I may not be your dream husband, at least I had given you your dream wedding." He chuckled lightly.

"Second will be, let me love you. Don't push me away. Just let me love you. I've been loving you since university days..." I frowned. T-that long?

"I was the one giving you letters and flowers in your locker before you had a relationship with David" he admitted. He was a good friend not until my relationship with David where he decided to stay away from me.

"I don't care if you cannot reciprocate my feelings, at least I tried to win you. That will be enough"

I smiled. Who am I not to fall in love with someone who will offer me the world? Who has been loving me for that long?

One thing that I want to do from now on is to learn to love Mark, and maybe turn this marriage into real one.

I nodded at him, "As I said on the message, proposing a one year marriage, same house, different rooms, you are free to date if you want to. I promise to be faithful and not to go out with any man. No one shall know about our deal in this marriage...and I promise to try to love you back"

His eyes glittered in happiness, and kissed my hands.

He let go of my hands and reached for his pocket, pulling out a small red box, and I know what is inside.

He smiled and opened it, "Will you marry me?"

But before I can answer, a hand held my shoulder from the back, answering him, "No. My fiancé will not marry you"

---

Vince's eyes were blazing, he was shooting glares to Mark and making things hard for me.

"No. We're over Mark. I guess there is a misunderstanding here. Give me a minute." I said, grabbing Vince by the arm and pulling him on the corner where nobody sees.

"What are you doing? Please. It is hard to find a groom. Please Vince. If you are in heat, there are a lot of girls who will be willing to be with you. Spare me Vince. Please. Spare me" I said, composing myself.

But in reality... I want him. I want him.

"I will not let you marry the guy" he was serious, and he was making things hard for me.

If he just say he loves me too...

I closed my eyes and breathed. My emotions are eating me. At the back of my mind I wanted it to be him, the man to be with. But it cannot be. It cannot be.

"Vince please. This is not a good prank. Just go now and have your life and I will also be having mine"

"Do you like the guy?" He asked.

I looked away and crossed my arms, "He is in love with me, and I will be loving him too. I just need some time"

"And you think I'll let that?" His jaw clenched, his teeth were gritting in anger.

"What do you really need Vince? Sex? A fuck buddy? I'm sorry but I am over that stage of my life. I'm closing that chapter. Let me live and work things out with Mark. He will be my husband"

I close my eyes and fought the feelings I feel for Vince. He shall spare me. I need to do this.

"And I will not let that happen." He said...

"Because you are marrying me."