Kouen: Chapter Four

I could hear Sindri crying in the room next mine. I wanted to go over and comfort her, but at the same time I didn't want her to get the wrong idea. We were going to get married for political reasons, we don't love each other. 

'But you can fall in love...'

A hot blush came over my face as that thought flew through my mind. Quickly I shook my head and tried to get the heat away from my face. As soon as I composed myself I noticed that Sindri had stopped crying, I was surprisingly disappointed that my moment to comfort her was gone. Turning away from her room and walked back out onto the deck. 

"En!" Kouha shouted as he jumped in front of me.

"Yes?"

"I heard about how your betrothed ran away from Judal in tears, how lame! Hahahaha!"

My fist clenched and Kouha noticed, a look of confusion crossing his face as I brushed past him and walked away. I felt like yelling at Kouha and I also felt like agreeing with him.

I stayed on deck just watching the ocean until the sun went down. As the setting sun painted the sky orange I began to walk to my room. As I passed Sindri's room I noticed the door was open a crack. Gently I open the door wider and walked inside to check on her. In her bed sleeping quietly was Sindri, next to her was Judar watching her sleep. His hand went down to stroke her cheek.

"Judar, what are you doing?" I asked with a quiet venom in my voice. Judar jumped a little and retracted his hand like it had been burned.

"Kouen! Um, I wasn't doing anything. I just came to make sure she was fine. She is, so now I'm leaving." He said as he walked out, hitting me slightly with his shoulder as he did. I watched him as he walked down the hall and into the room he had claimed as his. I felt the urge to growl at him, but pushed it down. My attention was swayed back to Sindri as she groaned and turned in her sleep. Slowly I made my way to her side, seeing Judar at her side made me feel...weird. I couldn't quite figure this girls out, she seemed like a spit-fire one second and then a crying mess the next. I was startled out of my thoughts by Sindri as she grabbed my arm.

"Sinbad...you little fuck..."

I chuckled to myself as she continued to curse Sinbad in her sleep. I wonder if she'll remember talking like that in the morning, doubt it. Peeling her arm off of mine I stepped back and walked out of her room. The girl that was to be my wife is very much a mystery to me and I hated not knowing things, it frustrated me out my mind when something was a mystery to me.

"Why don't you spend the next 4 days that we are on this damn boat to figure her out?"

I snapped my head to the side, Koumei was leaning on the wall, a tired look on his face.

"Was I talking out loud?"

"Yeah. You know, for being the pride of the Kou Empire you can be really stupid sometimes."

"Whatever. You should get some sleep, you look like a zombie."

"When do I ever not look like a zombie?"

With a small chuckle I shook my head at my younger brother and he smiled slightly before blacking out for 5 seconds. I ran over to him, worried he would hit his head if he fell. Koumei opened his eyes as I caught him.

"I blacked out again, didn't I?"

I didn't answer, just pushed him into his room and closed the door. He needs to take better care of himself. As I got back to my own room his suggestion rang in my head. He was right, what better way to relieve my boredom than figure out my bride-to-be?