Chapter 24: The Necklace

“He almost sounds like an adult already,” Daphne said as they hurried back to the hotel. “It's sort of sad if you think about it. It must have been the Dark Nights that made him grow up so fast.”

“Stop worrying about the guy's childhood,” Aris said. “Let's just listen to his advice and go!”

“We should go right after lunch,” Asha said.

“Right,” Aris agreed.

“But we have to go out of town before we activate the crystal,” Asha said. “We shouldn't do it in town anywhere.”

“Why not?” Aris asked.

“I don't know, but I have this feeling that if the Dark Nights find out about the crystal, nothing good will come out of it.”

“I suppose that's true.” Aris said.

“Oh, I wish we could stay longer,” Daphne said. “It's such a cute little town, and I think that someone here would like to stay here longer for another reason.” She elbowed Asha, who blushed as red as a cherry.

“I, um....” She looked down at the ground.

“Oooh, is someone blushing?” Aris teased.

What took so long? Sylvia asked as they hurried into their room and started to eat lunch.

We took our time shopping, Asha told her. She didn't mention seeing Owen. By the way, we've decided to leave as soon as we're done with lunch. Is that okay?

Sure, Sylvia said. It's about time we got moving, I was getting so bored.

Why? I thought you loved it here.

I do! It's just that I like more adventure in my life, that's all.

That so? Asha laughed.

Yes! Sylvia said as they finished lunch and began to pack up. Even Sylvia packed up a little bag for herself and had Asha tie it around her belly.

“Well, I guess that's it,” Daphne said, looking around the now spotless room. “Let's go.” They walked out of the hotel and started going down the path out of town. When the town was almost out of sight, Asha looked back and saw Owen running toward them, the setting sun on his back. She stopped to wait for him.

“Hi,” He said when he reached her.

“Hi.” Asha replied.

“I uh, just wanted to say goodbye,” he told her. “And, uh, to give you this.” He held up the dragon scale necklace that they had seen earlier. “I saw you admiring it, and well, I uh, got it for you.” he blushed and handed it to her.

“Thanks,” she said, taking the necklace and blushing as well.

“I'm sorry I told you that you had to go,” He finally said.

“It didn't matter. We had to leave soon anyway.”

“Promise me you'll come back one day?” He asked. Asha smiled.

“Promise.”

“Where'd you run off to?” Daphne demanded when she finally got to the clearing.

Yeah, were'd you run off to??? Sylvia echoed, but with even more frustration. Asha didn't answer. In her hand she clutched the dragon scale necklace.