Chapter 7: Sylvia

Later that morning they set off through town. There was a bunch of apple trees in the square, and they had apples on them, big but not big enough to eat. Two children played on a small playground while their mothers watched and talked. And many other students and adults bustled through the streets, going in and out many different stores.

“There!” Daphne pointed to a supply store.

While Daphne bought herself a new water jug, Asha looked at many of the other magical things in the store.

“Oh look!” Daphne cried as they walked out of the store. “The new pet store is open! Want to look at the pets?”

“Sure.” Asha said, and followed her across the street. Daphne glued herself to the window.

“Wow! They even have mini dragons!”

“Mini dragons?” Asha craned her neck to try and get a better look.

“Yes! Let's go see!” Daphne pulled her inside the store.

“Hello, may I help you?” the store clerk said.

“No, we're just looking.” Asha answered. Daphne pulled her to the first cage. A baby silver dragon looked at Asha and squeaked.

“May we take her out?” Daphne asked the clerk.

“What? No, that's okay.......!” Asha said.

“But she's SO cute!”

“Well, okay....” The clerk handed the dragon to Asha.

The baby was warm and scaly. She snuggled against Asha contentedly, and gave a happy squeak.

“She seems to like you.” The clerk noticed.

“I guess she does.” Asha said as the dragon cuddled against her.

“And for that, I'll give her to you for half the price,” the clerk said. “Just don't tell my boss.”

“We'll take her.” Daphne handed him the money.

“Wait, what?!?”

“Everyone needs a pet.” Daphne said as they walked out a little while later, carrying food and supplies for the dragon. Asha carried a cage that held the baby.

“You still didn't have to buy her.”

“Never mind. Besides, she can play with my mini dragon, Saphira. They can keep each other company while we go train.” The baby dragon squeaked. “What are you going to name her?”

“Sylvia.” Asha said immediately. “Her name is Sylvia.”

“Good name.” Daphne said, sounding pleased. Even the baby seemed to like it.

The next day, Asha awoke with Sylvia on top of her. The baby squeaked.

“All right, I'll feed you.” Asha said.

She got up and walked to the other side of the room, to where Sylvia's food was. Sylvia flew over and landed next to her. While the dragon ate, Asha fashioned a collar out of a leather string and a metal tag that she and Daphne had gotten the day before. Asha tied the makeshift collar around Sylvia's long, sleek neck and stood back to admire her work. Sylvia flew up and landed on her shoulder. Asha got dressed and they went outside.

“Hey Asha!” Daphne called and ran up to her. Her own blue miniature dragon was flying next to her, full grown. Sylvia let out a small roar at the sight of Saphira.

“It's okay.” Asha told the dragon, and so Sylvia flew up to see Saphira. They flew off into a nearby tree together.

“They'll be good friends.” Daphne said, looking at the tree.

“I guess so.”

“Saphira will show Sylvia how to hunt for herself, so you won't have to feed her as often,” Daphne explained, “I bet she's showing just that to her right now. Come on,” she motioned to Asha. “I think it's time for breakfast.”