Chapter One

Layne;

I sat on the couch, my legs crossed Indian style, my hair messy, my eyes tired, with a big bowl of cereal sitting in my lap while cartoons were rolling on the television. It was only 8:03 AM, but I was already awake. But, my other brothers were sleeping.

Krist laid in the floor asleep, while Chad laid on the coffee table, while Dave laid in a chair. It was kinda funny to see them like this almost every morning. Mommy says they fall asleep like that because they sit up all night long, and eventually just crash. But it makes me giggle every morning.

"Good morning, honey." My mommy said from behind the couch. She ruffled my hair before making her way into the kitchen to fix a cup of coffee.

"How did you sleep?" She asked. I chewed up my bite of cereal and swallowed before speaking.

"I slept good. How about you?" I said. But it was a lie. I didn't hardly sleep at all. Because of the nightmares. I never told mommy about them, because I didn't want her to worry.

"I slept good." She said. "Anyway, I need to talk to you about something, Layne."

She came back into the living room, a cup of coffee in her hand. She sat beside me on the couch and tucked her hair behind her ear.

"What is it?" I asked, taking another bite of cereal.

"So, your father's friend has a son who is going to be staying with us for a few weeks while they go on a trip." She announced. "His name is Kurt. He's also sixteen, like you. Now, while he's here I'm going to be on a business trip to New York. Layne, I would like to ask you to watch out for him and be his friend. Make sure your brothers don't do anything to him or play tricks on him, got it?"

I nodded. "Got it. But... Is he cute?"

"Layne!" She scolded. I giggled.

"I'm just kidding. But what does he look like? Have I seen him before?"

"I don't think so. But, his eyes are blue. His hair is shoulder length and a dirty blondish color. He's skinny. Umm... That's about it."

"Oh. Hmm... I don't think I've seen him before. But, okay, I will do my best to protect him from my idiot brothers." I said with an accomplishing smile.

> • • • • • • >

"Layne!" Dave groaned. "Get me some food."

"No." I groaned. "I'm getting what mommy put on the list."

"But-"

"Dave, you're suppose to be helping me." I whined. He groaned and took the list that was in my hand.

Before mom had left, she gave me a list of stuff to pick up at the grocery store before Kurt came. I told my brothers about him coming, which they didn't really seem to care.

"Layne, we've already got everything." He informed. I guess I had got everything mixed up since I didn't cross it off when we got it.

"Oh. Oops."

"You dork."

"Am not." I argued.