Chapter Thirteen

Isaiah walked behind his dad while carrying his toy cars, Carrie following behind. Mike was on his way to a hockey game and Carrie was staying with the little boy. It was in the beginning of the evening and Isaiah's bedtime was soon to come.

"Adios, dad!" Isaiah giggled. 'Adios' was the only Spanish word he knew and he used it often. Most of the time in the wrong way.

"See yah later, babe," Carrie grinned, pecking her fiancé's lips. "Kick some butt out there." She gave him a light tap on his rear as he started to exit the household.

"Hey, now!" He laughed and winked, "See yah." He jogged to his car so he wouldn't be late. Carrie noticed he was in a much better mood. He had been in a gloomy one since Jennifer's passing, which was two months ago. But now he seemed a lot better, that made Carrie smile widely.

The woman shut the front door, excluding the outside world, and looked down at Isaiah. "Are you ready for bed?" She joked. His eyebrows creased and he shook his head.

"No!" He laughed. "You're silly, mom. Bedtime at eight." Isaiah spoke well and clear for being three, almost four.

"What?" Carrie questioned, hoping she didn't hear him right. She bit her top lip and looked intently at the soon-to-be four year old.

"Bedtime at eight," he repeated, fidgeting with his Hot Wheels.

"I heard that," she lightly chuckled. She bent down so she was eye level with him. "What did you say before that?"

"I said you are silly, mom," Isaiah answered, smiling sweetly at her. "Can I go play?"

"Wait," Carrie grabbed his shoulder, knowing he was about to bolt to his playroom. She inhaled some air through her mouth before speaking. "You know I'm not your mom, right, Isaiah?" Her voice was becoming shaky.

"Yes," he said, not making eye contact with an almost crying Carrie. "My mom went to Heaven."

"Mhm," she stared at him. "Why did you call me that?"

Isaiah shrugged his shoulders. "I miss calling someone that. And you and daddy are going to get married soon, then you'll be my mom!"

The blonde laughed, knowing he didn't know how it actually worked. She didn't want to go into a whole conversation about stepmom's, so she just let it be. "Okay, you can go play now."

She made sure he was in the room and occupied before she let herself break down. She had no idea what to do but cry. This whole situation confused her. Should she let him call her that? Would Mike like that? The only way she would know is if she told him about what happened and heard his opinion on it.

"Mom," Isaiah whispered. He left the room to remind Carrie about the hockey game, but walked out to her with her head in her hands.

"Yes, honey," she shot her head up, wiping away her tears.

"Daddy's game starts soon... Can we turn on the TV now?"

"Sure!" Carrie smiled, perking herself up so it would distract Isaiah from her smeared mascara. She turned on the TV and flipped through the channels until she found the right one. "I'm going to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back."

She walked to the bathroom and fixed her makeup. When she looked at the clock that was on the wall, next to the sink, it read seven thirty. 'Had I really been crying that long?' She thought to herself.

"It starting!" Isaiah squealed.

Carrie ran towards the couch and through herself onto it. "Let's watch some hockey."

Thirty minutes later, in was eight o'clock and time for Isaiah to get ready for bed.

Carrie turned off the TV and looked towards Isaiah who's eyelids were slowly closing. "Time to get your pajamas on." She gently shook him.

"Please carry me," Isaiah yawned.

Soon, Isaiah had his pajamas on and his teeth were brushed. Carrie was looking through the pile of children books, about to tell him a bedtime story.

"What book do you want me to read to you?"

"Nothing," Isaiah whispered. "Please lay with me."

Carrie obliged and laid next to the sleepy boy. The two ended up falling asleep together. Carrie didn't wake up until she felt Mike kiss her cheek bone.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" He apologized, brushing her hair out of her face.

"No," she smiled. She stretched her arms and gently untangled herself from Isaiah and his little blanket. Mike gave Isaiah a kiss on the forehead before exiting the room with Carrie.

"I missed you," Mike enveloped Carrie in a hug.

"You're stinky!" Carrie said in a whisper. "Go take a shower!"

"Fine," Mike laughed. "You better not be asleep when I come out."

"I won't." She rolled her eyes, walking into the bedroom.

She changed into leggings and a t-shirt while Mike took a quick shower. He came out with a towel around his waist and began to search for boxers.

"Care," Mike said, slipping on his briefs.

"Yeah." She was waiting patiently for him.

"Why don't you just move in with me. You're here more than you're at your house. And half of your clothes are here."

"Maybe," she laughed. "That's actually an excellent idea." He laid down next to her and she put her head on his bare chest. "Isaiah called me mom today."

"What?" Mike looked down at Carrie with a smile. "That's a great."

"Is it?" She asked, getting up and sitting crisscross next to him. "I don't want to replace Jennifer... I feel like it isn't right. But he said he missed calling someone that..."

"It's okay, baby," Mike kissed the top of her hand. "It's wonderful that he called you that."

"I wanted to make sure that it was okay with you first before I got excited about it," she giggled.

"Perfectly fine. I'm tired, let's go to bed," Mike said, opening his arms so Carrie could lay next to him. "I love you."

"I love you more," she said, enjoying the sensation of Mike running his fingers through her hair.