Chapter Three

Mike woke up to an object in his face. He blinked many times before his correct vision came back. At first he was confused, but after a second of concentration he recognized what was in between Carrie's thumb and index finger.

"Have an explanation?" Carrie asked, obviously pissed. It was written all over her face. Mike hesitated, he had one but couldn't process what was happening. He opened his mouth to speak but no words came out. "Of course not," Carrie huffed. She tossed the wedding ring on Mike's bed and headed for the stairs. She was only clothed in Mike's t-shirt and her laced underwear.

"Carrie, wait!" Mike shouted, chasing her down the stairs. She picked up her pieces of clothing as she descended.

"No, Mike!" Carrie yelled as she turned to face him. Tears were beginning to form in her eyes. "Why would I wait for a man that has a wedding ring? I'm not going to be anyone's mistress! This was all a huge mistake!" She turned back around and was about to head out of the door.

"Please just let me explain!" Mike begged, holding onto her arm. He didn't want to lose Carrie. Even if they made a drunken mistake, he still knew that he had feelings for the woman in front of him.

"Two minutes," Carrie replied, crossing her arms and glaring at Mike.

"What?" Mike creased his eyebrows. "Two minutes isn't going to cover my explanation." He laughed as he ran his fingers through his hair. "While you change, I'll make breakfast. And while we're eating I'll justify this situation."

Carrie also had the same feelings for Mike as he did for her. She didn't want to, but it was hard not to. He was the whole package. Charming; sweet; everything else a woman wanted in a man. Even though they had just met last night, she could already feel herself falling for him.

"Okay," she accepted his offer. She mentally hit herself for not playing hard to get. She walked up the stairs with her clothes from last night in her hands.

Mike didn't know what Carrie liked. He actually had no idea so he decided to just put bagels into the toaster and throw eggs onto the griddle.

Meanwhile, Carrie wasn't just changing, she was also speaking quietly on the phone with Ivey.
"Ivey," Carrie whispered. She was hoping her friend wasn't around anyone.

"What?" Ivey whispered back.

"Where are you? Are you at that guy's house?" Carrie questioned, trying to remember his name.

"Yes," Ivey smiled, biting her lip. "His name is Mark, I see you've forgotten. He's remarkable," Ivey let out a softened giggle. Carrie slapped the palm of her hand against her forehead as she listened to Ivey ramble about the man she went home with.

"Well I'm at Mike's," Carrie interrupted Ivey's babbling. "Come pick me up when you leave Mark's. Get Mike's address from Mark, I don't know it."

"Alright, alright," Ivey whispered in a rush. "I have to go, Mark's calling my name, I'll see you later." Carrie could feel her best friend grinning widely. She didn't bother to say anything back and her thumb fell upon the 'end call' button.

"Breakfast is ready!" Carrie heard Mike say from downstairs.

"Coming," Carrie said while sprinting down the stairs, fully clothed.

Walking into the kitchen, she stopped in her tracks, watching Mike spread cream cheese on their bagels with no shirt on. The more she stared at him, the more she realized that she didn't regret their actions last night. As much as she wanted to, she couldn't.

"I made eggs and bagels," Mike stated the obvious, "I didn't know what to cook so I whipped these up." Carrie smiled at his nervousness and red cheeks.

"I'm actually a vegan," she said. "Eggs are a no-no," she let out a short chuckle, "but the bagel is perfect."

"That's good to know," he grinned, sliding the eggs he had prepared off of the griddle and onto his plate.

Carrie swiped her tongue across her lips as she eyed Mike's muscles once again. It was like his biceps and abs were a magnet and her eyes were the metal. She took a seat at the counter and thanked Mike when he handed her plate to her. The hockey player took a seat next to Carrie and immediately dug in.

"So," Carrie started while biting into her bagel, causing Mike to look up, "how about that explanation."

Mike took a deep breathe. If he wanted this girl he'd have to tell the truth, and the truth only. "Well..." He began.