Chapter Ten

As the warm Nashville sun rose over the distant mountains, the petite blonde and muscular brunette awoke after they spent the whole night talking like they always did.

Still groggy, the pair slowly grabbed their luggage and hurried off to the airport. It was Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and Mike wanted to surprise his parents with a visit.

"It's my mom," Carrie sighed as her phone began to ring. Her and Mike were sitting in the back of a taxi, on their way to the airport.

"Just answer it," Mike softly said.

"Hello?" She answered the phone with sweaty palms and put it on speaker.

"Happy Thanksgiving, honey!" Her mom cheerfully stated, taking a turkey out of the oven. "When are you going to be here?"

Tears began to form in Carrie's eyes. She looked up at Mike, biting her lip.

"Go ahead," Mike mouthed, putting his arm around his girlfriend of a year's shoulder.

"Im sorry," Carrie apologized, tears starting to roll down her cheeks. She felt horrible for not telling her mother earlier.

"What's going on?" Her mom said, her mood shifting. The smile on her face faded away, Carrie couldn't see it, but she knew that her mother wasn't in a giddy mood anymore.

"Mike and I aren't coming," the daughter swallowed the lump in her throat. "We figured that since we were with you for Easter, we would be with his family for this holiday..."

"That's okay," she smiled, understanding her situation. She wouldn't have been as okay with it if she hadn't had family coming over already.

"Mama, I'm really sorry," Carrie whispered, her voice cracking.

"Don't worry about it, baby girl," she smiled, "both families are very important. Have fun and I love you. And Tell Mike that I said to keep you safe."

"Thank you," Carrie sniffles and gently grinned through her tears. "I love you too."

That conversation went better than Carrie expected. She was thinking her mom would break down in tears, or even get a little mad at her. But she thought wrong. Everything was well.

The taxi dropped them off at their location. Right away, Carrie dropped her bag in the security line and leaned on Mike's shoulder. Her tears were now wiped away and she was calmed down.

"Do you think they're gonna like me?" She asked with a pout on her face.

"They're gonna love you Princess! It's not like you haven't meet them before, we've FaceTimed them a bunch," Mike replied as he kissed her nose.

The couple boarded the first class plane hand in hand. Before they knew it the plane took off and they were high above the clouds.

"Your dad is gonna be so surprised to see you," Carrie said with a big smile on her face.

"They are gonna be all over you," Mike assured her and added, "you look amazing."

"Why do you say that?" Carrie wondered, staring at the handsome man that she called hers, sitting next to her.

Mike shrugged and kissed her lips. "Just thought I'd tell you." He planted a a kiss on her lips again, this time bringing one of his hands to her upper thigh and squeezing it.

"There's people around, Mr." Carrie pulled away, looking around to make sure nobody was staring at them during their brief make out session.

"I know, sorry," he said, pecking her lips one more time before adjusting himself in his seat.

Hours later they land in Peterborough, Canada. Again, hand in hand, they walked off the plane and down to baggage claim. They called a cab and headed out to the cabin in the woods where Mike grew up.

Carrie hid behind Mike as they walked up to the front door. All of Mike's family had shown up to celebrate, all unaware of the surprise headed towards them.

Mike opened the door and took Carrie's hand as they walked into the dining room.

"SURPRISE!" The couple shouted as everyone jumped up to greet them.

"What a lovely surprise, why didn't you tell us you were coming?" Mike's mom asked him.

"We wanted to come up and spend the weekend and get to know each other better," Carrie said as she hugged everyone.

"Well it's great to finally see you in person, Carrie, you're gonna love it here in Canada," Mikes father said.

"Come sit down, join us for dinner, there's plenty of food," a relative said as they pulled two chairs out for Mike and Carrie.

Everyone got acquainted and said grace as they began their Thanksgiving dinner. Carrie had a feeling that she would get along just fine.