Chapter 1

Maddie's POV

  "Pay... I need food!" I croaked out.

"Mads, we can't go back their. You know that! Just keep going!!!" Paige whispered back.   

We needed to keep our voices low. If someone heard us, they'd take us to Auntie Linda and Uncle James's house, foster homes, or back to the orphanage.

Confused? Allow me to enlighten you. 

My name is Madison. I go by Maddie. I am 9 years old. I have blonde hair, and green eyes. I can't sing to save my life, but I dance. I have never had proper dance lessons, but I sort of taught myself. My big sister's name is Paige. I call her Pay, Paigey, or whatever I can think of at the moment. Pay has long dark wavy hair, blue eyes, and is 14 years old. She can sing. Like really well. But she doesn't want to become famous. Now I will explain our problem. Our parents died when I was 7 and she was 12, so 2 years ago. We were then sent to live with our Auntie Linda and Uncle James, who abused us, in every possible way. We ran away, but were then sent to an orphanage, where we were put in foster homes. Separately. We were both apparently, 'difficult', and were sent back to the orphanage. We ran away from there, and for the past 2 months, we've been on the run, hiding away in places, going from place to place, and running from the police. We have yet to find a place where we feel safe, and can get into. You see, when we find a place where there is alot of space to hide, and we can get into through an open window or an unlocked door, we go in, and hide untill we run again. We hardly get food or water, though, and we've been running for a month now.   

"Paigey, please! I- Need-" she cut me off.

"Shush, Maddie! You know what will happen if they find us!" I gulped and kept running. 

"Pay-Pay? Do you think we'll ever find someone who loves us?" I whisper-asked.

"I don't know, Maddie-Boo, I don't know." She replied. My eyes filled with familiar tears. The same tears that I fall asleep in, the same tears that fill my eyes when I hurt myself, or when others hurt me.

 "Let's stop for the night, Mads. You need to sle- Mads! Water fountain!!!" Pay exclaimed in the middle of her sentence. We ran to the fountain and drank. Alot. 

"Ok. Now you need to crash, Mads. Seriously, bedtime." Pay announced. We found an alley, and laid down. Pay sang to me.   

Yesterday, a child came out to wander

Caught a dragonfly inside a jar

Fearful when the sky was full of thunder

And tearful at the falling of a star

And the seasons they go 'round and 'round

And the painted ponies go up and down

We're captive on the carousel of time

We can't return we can only look behind

From where we came

And go round and round and round

In the circle game

Then, the child moved ten times 'round the seasons

Skated over ten clear frozen streams

Words like, "When you're older", must appease him

And promises of someday make his dreams 

And the seasons they go 'round and 'round

And the painted ponies go up and down

We're captive on the carousel of time

We can't return we can only look behind

From where we came, 

And go round and round and round 

In the circle game

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now

Cartwheels turn to car wheels through the town

And they tell him, "Take your time. It won't be long now.

'Til your drag your feet to slow the circles down" 

And the seasons they go 'round and 'round

And the painted ponies go up and down

We're captive on the carousel of time

We can't return we can only look behind

From where we came

And go round and round and round

In the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty

Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true

There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty

Before the last revolving year is through.

And the seasons they go 'round and 'round

And the painted ponies go up and down

We're captive on the carousel of time

We can't return, we can only look behind

From where we came

And go round and 'round and 'round

In the circle game

And go 'round and 'round and 'round in the circle game.

I teared up, and then fell asleep.   

Paige's POV

Sometimes I wonder if I'm part dolphin. Dolphins sleep with one eye open, and that's my life. I always have an eye open. I'm always looking out for Maddie. She's what keeps me going everyday, smiling, laughing, alive. She's my everthing, and without her, I'd be dead. I'll litteraly do anything and everything for her. When she cries, I feel pain. When she's happy, I'm happy. Shes nine, but she's sharp. What I don't notice, she does. Maddie is relatively happy, seeing how our lives are.  As Maddie falls asleep, I drape my thin jacket over her, and pull her close to me. I make a plan for the next day.  Tomorrow, we will find somewhere to stay. I saw a large house from a few blocks away, and tomorrow, we will get there. I drown myself in thoughts, and then fall asleep, pulling my sister closer.