School of Secrets

Hey! 1st chapter of my story, "The Angel's Gift"!!!! Sorry this story possesses absolutely NO writing skill whatsoever; I wrote it a looooong time ago, so only criticism you'd give a 10 year old struggling to pass English class please(; Vote, comment, and fan!!!! LUV Y'ALL!  =)

-Savanna

*****

~Savanna POV~

I was stripped from a restless sleep by a honking horn. Peeling my heavy eyes open, I peeked over at the clock on my nightstand. 6 am. Who had the nerve to wake me up at 6:00?! Then reality struck me, and I groaned. It was the first day of my junior year of high school. I quickly got up, got dressed, and brushed my hair and teeth in record time. I spared a glance at the small mirror hanging on the wall by my door. A teenage girl with baby-blue eyes looked back at me, her straight blonde hair spilling off her shoulders and down her back smiled back at me.

Another ear-piercing honk echoed through my apartment. I grabbed my backpack and sprinted out the door of my apartment, leaped down the stairwell, taking two at a time, and dashed out the building's front door. A dark blue BMW convertible was parked across the dark street, a girl sitting impatiently in the driver's seat, already completely ready for school with her brown hair brushed nicely, tumbling in waves down her back and her navy-blue backpack sitting at her feet under the dashboard. Lindsey.

Lindsey was my best friend in the entire world. She was the only one who truly knew and understood me. She grinned sheepishly when she spotted me approaching the car, her chocolate-brown eyes shimmering warmly as she murmured, "I guess hoping you'd be on time just this once was wishful thinking."

I jumped in the car, rolling my eyes slightly. "Let's just get this over with." She giggled under her breath and sped off towards the place that would soon begin my nightmare.

-----

Lindsey and I walked in the door of Wayland High and were instantly amazed. Surrounding us was a flood of drop-dead gorgeous teenagers, all sauntering down the hallway, laughing with each other over who-knows-what. Lindsey spotted me staring at a group of boys on the other side of the hallway and rolled her eyes disapprovingly. Catching hold of my arm, she dragged me away like she was my freakin' mom.

"What was that for?" I whined and continued staring over my shoulder. One of the boys with pitch-black hair looked my direction and caught my eyes. His stunning ultramarine-blue eyes glistened with mischief that sent shivers spiraling down my spine. It took every effort I possessed to keep myself from drooling over his beauty. He held my gaze for a moment and I felt a sudden lure towards him. When he looked away I felt disappointed.

Shaking her head disapprovingly, Lindsey pulled me down to a classroom with the number 122 above the door. We slowly walked in, unsure of what to do. There was a middle-aged man with graying hair who I supposed was my teacher sitting behind a large desk in the front of the crowded classroom.

"Welcome to my science class! You're Lindsey and Savanna, right?" the teacher asked, and Lindsey nodded shyly while I raised my eyebrow at how he knew our names. "I'm Mr. Melvan. You guys can take any free seat in the classroom and turn to page 109."

As we walked around the classroom, I saw an empty seat next to the boy from earlier. I was slightly hesitant, but soon swallowed the irrational anxiety and sat down, trying not to look at him. He was talking to the orange-haired boy to his left in a smooth, velvety tone that made me want to melt.

A blonde boy with strange, shining golden eyes called to them, "Will! Jensen! Where were you guys last night? Mike totally freaked and scared his girlfriend to death! Had to chase her all the way to downtown! You should have been there!" he exclaimed, laughing uncontrollably.

"Will made me come with him to this stupid concert!" the orange-haired boy explained, exasperated. "The band sucked!"

The boy from earlier instantly defended himself and the band, sturring up an argument which I tuned out. I turned to my right and saw that Lindsey had sat in the seat beside me. She caught my gaze and flashed me a wry smile, silently informing me that she had seen me listening in to their conversation. I gave her a mischievous grin and reached in my black backpack. I pulled out my green science textbook and sighed as I opened up to the page labelled 109.

-----

I spaced out during science and every other period throughout the day until lunch. The only time I actually did anything was when I stared at the black-haired boy or looked to make sure Lindsey was okay. She's so quiet that she could have disappeared from the face of the earth and I wouldn't notice.

At lunch, I sat down with Lindsey at an empty table and we remained silent.

Suddenly, a girl with fiery red hair and emerald green eyes skipped up to us and sat down. I looked at her questioningly. "Ummm . . . Do you need something?"

"Nope," She said in a high-pitched happy voice, "I'm Annie! It's nice to meet cha!" Her childishness brought a smile to my face for she obviously didn't realize how naive she appeared.

"Okay, then," I said casually, "I'm Savanna and this is Lindsey."I gestured to Lindsey, who gave Annie a curt nod and returned to eating her chocolate-chip cookie shyly.

"Cool! Do you want my cookie?" She pulled a cookie out of her bright purple lunchbox and offered it to Lindsey randomly. Lindsey gladly accepted it and flashed Annie a faint trace of a dreamy smile. It was just a little weird that Annie wasn't eating anything, but not abnormal enough to keep me wondering about it. Shrugging it aside, I continued sipping my Dr. Pepper lazily.

"Thanks," Lindsey whispered. Annie beamed, looking overjoyed to see her finally speak. Lindsey began munching on the cookie silently.

The three of us eventually exited the large cafeteria, heading off to our next class of the day. I noticed several people staring at us hungrily like they had just spotted their lunch, expressions mixed with craving and confusion. I tried to shrug off the feeling that something was wrong, but it hung in the air like a bad aftertaste.