Chapter 25

After my physio session Chappo and I spilt up. He headed off to work (15 minutes late...as usual) and I had a secret meeting. I had finally got round to organising a swimming session with Azza. He had tried to tell me he'd wait till I was better on my feet but I insisted on starting. I had regained most movement above my knee, so I could attempt to move my hips to keep myself slightly afloat.

I took a taxi to the pool, as it was quite a distance and I needed to save my energy for the "lesson". The taxi driver was extremely helpful, even lifting me from the car. As he was grabbing my bag for me I spotted Azza heading inside. "Yo Azza!" I shouted. He spun around and saw me. He jogged over and took my bag from the taxi driver. I thanked him as Azza wheeled me inside.

"So, how did your physio go?" He asked, as a person held the door inside open for us. "It was really good, they have me crutches to use for a few minutes each day, so I'm getting there, slowly, but I'm getting there" I explained as we reached the counter. "I'm proud of ya, Tiff" Azza said, patting me on the shoulder. Azza handed the girl at the counter his membership card and she scanned it before handing it back to him. I wheeled myself closer to the counter as Azza was putting his card back in his wallet. "Hi, how can I help you?" the girl, whose name badge said Amanda, asked, a bit over enthusiastically. "Hi I would like to become a member" I said, as I opened my purse to pull out my credit card. "Sure thing! Which membership would you like?" She asked, gesturing to the posters on the wall beside me advertising the different memberships. They ranged from a one month pool only membership to a five year all inclusive membership. I settled on a three month half membership. For $175 I had unlimited access to the pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and the gym. I could also attend the many classes the sports centre offered free of charge. I made a mental note to make it my goal to buy a full membership when my three months was up. I wouldn't get full use out of a full membership at the moment, as the extras included use of the tennis courts, basketball courts, astro-turf and pitch and putt course. The facilities available in this place were amazing. Amanda handed me my membership card, along with a complimentary goodie bag with things such as sports tshirts to waterbottles to swimming goggles.

"This is awesome" I said looking through the bag as Azza wheeled me into the swim area. "Ok ladies changing rooms are over there" He explained gesturing to a door at the other side of the area. "I'll meet you at the door leading from the women's changing rooms to the poolside so I can help you in." I nodded as he headed into the guys changing room to get changed. I looked around before wheeling myself into the changing room. The "swim area" was just a widen hallway with some benches and a water fountain. There was also a snack station with complimentary fruit. I figured the area was mostly used for visiting teams during swimming galas.

I chose a low down locker as it was the easiest for me to access. I manoeuvred myself from my wheelchair on the benches in the changing room. I slipped off my shorts and top. I had my swimsuit on underneath. I put my thongs on my feet and headed over to the sink area. I used the mirror as I tied up my hair before tucking it into a swim cap. I put my goggles on and pulled them up so they were resting on my forehead. I took a deep breath and wheeled myself out to the pool.

Azza was waiting for me when I got out. I could feel people staring at me, but I didn't mind I was getting used to it, and they weren't trying to me mean or make me uncomfortable. I put my left arm over Azza's shoulder, and had my
right arm around a lifeguard who came over to help. With their support I walked the couple steps to the pool edge, where I sat down with my feet in the water. Azza disappeared momentarily before returning with a pool noodle. "This will help you up without having to kick your legs. We'll just work on your arms until your legs are a bit stronger." He handed me the Poole noodle before he jumped into the pool. I put the pool noodle under my arms, and kind of flopped into the pool, where Azza caught me. I hadn't been in a pool since I was 14.

The "lesson" with Azza went great. He thought me how to thread water with my arms and got me more used to putting my head underwater, a thing I had always found difficult. When we were just about to finish up Azza looked at me with a mischievous grin. "What?" I giggled uneasily. Before I could protest Azza had me scooped up in his arms and was climbing up the stairs leading to the waterslide.

I stared nervously at the slide as we queued. Surprisingly there was a chair to sit on up there, so I waited there. When it was our turn Azza came over and picked me up. "Azza" I said nervously, "I've never been on a waterside before." Azza looked at me, his face even happier than before. "There's a first time for everything!" He helped me into the double inflatable tube that you sit in during the ride. I was terrified as I had to sit in front as the heavier person had to sit at the back to keep it balanced. Before I could chicken out we had set off, twisting and turning around bends. Poor Azza's ears must have hurt by the end, I was screaming so much. We crashed into the small pool at the end, and I got into a fit of laughter. "That was awesome!" I cheered. "Well, when you're better we're definitely taking you to a waterpark" Azza replied, inbetween fits of laughter.

I hurriedly got dressed and met Azza outside. He kindly gave me a lift home and I told him I'd see him at work the next day as I shut the door. I rushed inside the apartment and hid the swim stuff and grabbed a towel. I headed for a shower, in an attempt to get rid of the smell of chlorine so Chappo wouldn't suspect anything. I wanted the fact that I was learning to swim to be a secret, so I could surprise him one day by swimming out further than him at the beach. I had just finished drying my hair when Chappo arrived home, takeaway pizza in one hand, a stack of movies in the other. Talk about perfect. I was looking forward to nothing better than a night cuddled up on the couch.

***
Hey guys.
I know, I know, I always say I'll try to update weekly, and I'm so sorry that u don't. I've been busier than expected this summer, so I'm not going to promise weekly updates at the moment, though I will try my best to update frequently. Hopefully I might be able to get a bit more organised and then I can plan out my chapters a bit better :)

Sorry for another filler chapter, I was super tired but didn't want to leave it any longer with no update!

Thanks for your continued support, I really appreciate it. And 18k reads? I can't thank you guys enough! Thank you thank you thank you!

Feel free to comment any feedback

-Niamhxoxo