Chapter 21

The next morning I woke up the the blaring sun peeking in through the window blinds. I kicked Chappo with my foot to wake him. "Chappo is sleeping, please leave a message at the tone." He grunted, but slowly sat himself up in the bed. His morning hair was wild, his voice raspy, but I couldn't say much I was a lot worse. My hair looked like a birds nest, all tangled. I also had some mascara around my eyes that I was too lazy to take off the night before. "Wanna help me up?" I asked. At that a lot more life came into his eyes and he swung his legs out of the bed onto our wooden floor. He stomped his feet as he walked over to my side of the bed. "I don't want to go to work" he moaned, "I wanna sleep." I looked up at him and smiled, "You have to go in" I teased. He made a fake sad face and I don't know why but I found it hilarious. "Ready?"He asked. I nodded and he wrapped his arms around my back and helped me onto my feet, but he was bearing all my weight. He pulled my wheelchair closer and helped me sit into it. He went in for his shower while I picked out my outfit for the day.

Chappo took a mere 10 minutes to get ready. I took 30. Chappo had his lifeguard uniform on, and had fixed his hair into a more presentable fashion. I had my hair done in a French braid. I had a nice top, shorts and some shoes on. "What's for breakfast?" I chirped As I wheeled myself into the sitting room. We took turns making breakfast. I made it every other day. "I forgot it was my day today. Hope you like toast" he said, holding out a plate with 2 slices of almost burnt toast. That was the way I liked it. We sat at the kitchen table together and ate. We sang along to any song that came on the radio. By the time we had finished it was 7:45 am and we were both due to start at 8am. "Running late is becoming our norm isn't it?" I laughed as we rushed out the door and down the street to the tower.

We slowed our pace as we neared the tower so as not to give the impression that we were once again running late. We entered the tower to the sound of hysterical laughter. Maxi and Kerrbox had tears in their eyes from laughing. "What's up?" I asked. Maxi turned around and tried to catch his breath. After a minute of trying to compose himself he spoke. "Jethro is in the tower down at north end. He was propping the door open with his foot. He moved and the door shut. He's locked himself in!" At that Maxi and Kerrbox went into another fit of laughter. We then heard Jethro come through on the talkie. I don't even remember what he said but I do know that afterwards Chappo and I had joined in in the hysterical laughing fit.

My day remained pretty uneventful, mostly just blue bottle stings. But after my lunch break things began to get hectic.

***
Hey guys! Thanks for 14.5k reads!

Summer is so close now, so hopefully once schools finished I can get 2 updates a week.

Again, feel free to comment what you think of the story so far or if you have any pointers or suggestions.

-Niamhxoxo