Chapter 24

The next day was physio, and I was super nervous. They wanted me to try and walk.

Chappo woke me up very early in the morning, as he couldn't wait for the physio. I was scared. I wasn't afraid of the actual walking, I was worried that I would disappoint Chappo if I couldn't walk. Chappo helped me up and into my wheelchair. He then headed quickly to the kitchen, it was his turn to make breakfast. I was happy about that, as it gave me more time to calm my nerves and get ready.

I first went for a shower, which was, as usual, hard. I had to move from the wheelchair to the seat in the shower. I didn't mind, really, as I loved showers. I used my favourite body wash that morning, which I didn't use much as it wasn't available to buy here in Australia, so it was only the bottle I had brought with me which I had. I washed my hair too, and shaved my legs.

After my shower I put my hair in a French braid. Then I went to pick my outfit. I wheeled myself over to the dresser where my clothes were (I insisted that Chappo keep all his wardrobe space, I didn't want to be an inconvenience. I tugged at the old oak drawer that contained my tops. I rolled backwards as the drawer finally flew open. I chose a nice, comfortable t shirt and some nice shorts to go with it. I then put on my running shoes, as they had really good support. Believe it or not, but before I was in the wheelchair I used to run, like a lot. I hope to get back to it sometime, but we won't know for a long time yet just how much strength I will regain in my legs. As I sat there thinking about how much I missed running I heard Chappo. "Breakfast lovely!" I hurried out to the kitchen, I was really hungry.

Chappo had made a really nice breakfast for us. Granola, fresh fruit and yogurt. I loved good wholesome food like that. I devoured it within 10 minutes, and even ate seconds. As I sat waiting for Chappo, he burst out laughing. "What?" I asked, puzzled, "do I have yogurt on my face or something?" He continued laughing. "Chappo, seriously, what's so funny" I moaned. I could hear the floorboards creaking behind me, but took no notice really, sure plenty of floors creak for no reason. Then I could feel a warm breath behind my neck and suddenly I was grabbed out of my chair, I was being tossed about by Deano, Maxi, Jesse, Kobi and Azza. "Guyss! Put me down!" I screeched, but I was laughing. Azza had me now, and I was on his back. He flopped onto the couch in the living room, sitting on top of me. I was lying on the couch, and soon all the guys, including Chappo, we squishing me. Soon the rolled off me and sat on the couches and chairs around. "But seriously Tiff, we came to wish you luck at physio today and just to tell you that we're super proud of ya and you don't need to worry about disappointing us, take it all at your own pace" Azza said, squeezing my hand. I took a deep breath, those words helped to settle my worries. "Thank you" I said, my voice cracking. "Ah guys, look ye made her cry!" Chappo said mockingly. "Shut up" I teased. "Alright, Tiff, we better head" Chappo said, getting up to get my wheelchair. "Well, we'll see you later" Maxi said, as the guys all got up to leave, patting my shoulder as they walked out.
"Ready?" Chappo said as he lifted me into my chair. I took a deep breath and nodded. I grabbed my backpack from the floor and we set off down the road.

We arrived just on time, and Sarah was in the waiting room. "Hiya Tiff!" She cheered, her normal happy self. "Hey" I said, a slight quiver in my voice. "Alright, you wanna come through with me Tiff, and you wait her for a bit Chappo?" Sarah said, and to be completely honest I was relieved that Chappo wouldn't be coming in today. Chappo nodded and took a seat and I wheeled myself into the physio room behind Sarah.

"So, trying walking today, but completely at your own pace" Sarah explained, strapping braces to my shins and feet to help with support. "I'll be there holding you the whole way, and Jared, the other physio will walk right behind you, reassuring you and there if you need a second person to hold. And you only walk as far as you want, you set the pace we go at, don't do too much, you're doing great." I took a very deep breath as Sarah and Jared helped me to my feet. I almost lost my balance and grabbed onto Jared's Tshirt tightly. Once I had steadied myself I let go, Sarah on my left hand side, for support on my badder leg. My "good" leg was weak aswell, from lack of use in the wheelchair, but it was getting a bit stronger with some exercises set by Sarah. I looked down at my feet, the I lifted my head and looked forward. I slowly lifted my "good" leg and took a step, the first time I'd done since the time Chappo was jumped, and I only did that out of a surge of adrenaline. With guidance from Sarah and Jared I tired to lift my bad leg, but I just couldn't, it was like a dead weight. If you've ever tried to stand or walk on a leg with no feeling you'd get what I mean. After many attempts I was ready to give us when Jared suggested a very good (and doable) idea. I was going to try walk on my "good" leg and drag my bad leg, eliminating the struggle of trying to lift it. I took another step on my "good" leg and then dragged my bad leg behind. It hurt like you can't imagine, my "good" leg felt like it was burning from the pain, but I was determined to go a bit further. And I did, I made to a few paces from the door to the waiting room.

I looked at Sarah, who I could tell knew what I was thinking. I gave her a hopeful look and she nodded. I walked/dragged myself a few more steps and Sarah opened the door for me. I took a few more steps through the doorway, and there I was. Standing, actually walking to Chappo, the man I loved, as a tear rolled down my face from happiness. Chappo stood up ad came closer to me, tears welling in his eyes. "Tiff" He whispered, "you never cease to amaze me."

The physio session ended, and I was given a pair of crutches to use once a day to try and walk on my good leg for a few metres. I wasn't meant to over do it, this was going to be a long journey to her back to walking properly, but the finish line was slowly becoming closer for me to see, and I was confident I would be walking again, the first time I ever felt this way since my accident.

***
Hey...
Sorry about not updating for like a month, as I said in the last update,
I had two weeks of exams and then I just took some time to unwind, but now that I'm recovered from the tests and I am on holidays I hope to update weekly :)

Also, we're almost at 17k reads???
THATS INSANE! Thank you guys so so so much!! I'm so grateful for your support.

Sorry this is kind of a boring chapter but yeah anyway, hope you enjoyed.

-Niamhxoxo