Chapter 23

We spent the next day shopping. I had never been a person who loved gigantic clothes stores, I preferred little ones with character, so Chappo brought me to a couple of his favourite surf shops. I loved the surf shops. The creaky wooden floors, surfboards on the ceiling. navigating your way through a maze of wetsuits, the smell of surfboard wax. I wheeled myself over to the women's clothes. I have to admit, I did feel self concious, people were staring, a girl in a wheelchair didn't fit most peoples idea of a surf shop clientele. I didn't mind too much though. You didn't have to be able to surf to love surfing. So, while Chappo went looking at surfboards and wetsuits, I picked up a few nice pieces of clothing. I picked out 2 nice dresses, 3 t shirts, a pair of sandals and a nice backpack. That was a weird thing about me actually, I have always had an obsession with backpacks, I had dozens of them, like some people collected shoes, I collected backpacks. I went up to queue, and saw that Chappo was paying at the counter. I could see a pair of thongs and sunglasses in his hand. I think he was also buying surfboard wax. But I secretly knew he was longing for a new wetsuit, and I intended to get him a new one for his birthday, which was in a months time.

After I had finished paying we headed to a big bookstore. Chappo and I split up, with a task at hand. I had to pick out 5 books I thought Chappo would love, he had to do the same for me. I wheeled myself around, looked up at the tall oak bookshelves that reached all the way to the ceiling. The ceiling looked like it was hundreds of years old, beautiful designs along it. Actually, the entire bookstore look hundreds of years old. There was a beautiful smell, a mix between old and new books. The books were lined on shelves in alphabetical order. There was the odd table in the centre of the floor, a white cloth draped on them, with featured books displayed on it. At the end of each bookshelf there was a sign that read "If you cannot afford a book, do not worry. There is thousands of novels to choose from here, any staff member would only be delighted to recommend you a book. Take your chosen book, there is an area down at the back of the store with armchairs. Sit, relax and read. We will also provide you with a scone and tea if you wish." I felt a lump form in my throat. It was gestures like this that helped hold my love for humanity. I couldn't begin to describe how happy it made me feel to see those signs.

I wheeled myself further into the bookstore, looking for a few specific books. It didn't take me long to locate "To kill a mockingbird" a book I could not wait to get Chappo to read. I then picked up "The Hobbit" which I hoped Chappo would love, because it is amazing. I then got "Harry Potter and the philosophers stone" which I only got as a precaution. I would not let him hear the end of it if he hadn't read the Harry Potter books, or he better have seen the movies at least. I then picked out "The secret life of bees" which is an exceptionally beautiful book. Now I only needed to find one more book, and I knew exactly which one I had to get him.

I quickly located the book I was looking for, but it was on a high shelf and I couldn't reach it. But I was determined to do this myself. I wheeled myself over to the bookshelf and held onto the side. I used the bookshelf to pull myself up. I could feel my legs wobbling a bit, but it was a lot easier to stand now than it had been even a few days ago. I was getting more confident standing again. I reached up and grabbed the book off the shelf, and immediately plonked myself back into the chair. Even just standing for that little length of time was extremely difficult and tiring for me. But I had got the book, and I had got it all by myself. "The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" I muttered quietly. It was my all time favourite independent book. It was so beautifully and delicately written, I just loved it. I took a deep breath and made my way back up the store to pay.

Chappo was already waiting for me outside the shop door. "You took your time" He said, with a cheeky grin plastered on his face. "But I did it" I said. "Did what, Tiff?" He asked, puzzled. "I couldn't reach one of the books I wanted to get. But I stood myself up holding onto the bookshelf." I replied, pride evident in my voice. "Tiff, you never fail to amaze me" Chappo whispered, "I love you, you crazy weirdo." I used my fingers to motion him to come closer to me. He bent down and I leaned in close to him. "I love you too, goofball" I murmured as I kissed his soft, tender lips, and gosh, I wish time could just freeze. I would live in that moment forever.

***
Hey guys!! Thank you for 15.2k reads!
Also, I have really big, important exams starting this week, and they last about 2 weeks...so I quite possibly may not get an update up in the next 2 weeks because of them.
But, once I finish those exams, I am on summer holidays, so hopefully updates will be more frequent then!! :)
Please feel free to comment on how you're finding the story :)
-Niamhxoxo