Chapter 13

Hiccup's POV

There was no doubt about it, Jack was staring at me. It was a little weird, but I didn't mind it that much. But right now, finding that safe was more important than thinking about him.

"Hey Hiccup! I think I found something!" Jack flung open the drawers of the desk that stood in the middle of the room. There was a safe inside!

"Nice work Jack. Now let's see if we can get in..." It was a digital lock. It was a four number code. I had absolutely no idea what it could be.

"Nothing?" Jack asked.

"Yeah. We're going to have to find the code." I scratched my head and thought.

Jack's POV

What would North have as his code? I knew, from Hiccup, that he liked the color red, and that his birthday was on Christmas. Wait a second... Christmas!

"I might have it!" I punched in the numbers 12-25, and it opened. "That was way to easy!"

Hiccup's POV

I was impressed! Jack was surprisingly useful in this situation. I guess brains complement brawn pretty well. Then I looked inside.

"Oh my god... there's nothing!" I realized that the safe was empty! There was nothing! Then, as soon as it had happened, my shock turned into anger. They had tricked us! I could envision Merida waving the flag in front of us, laughing at our faces, then punching Jack for the fun of it... dammit! Jack was going to get hurt, all because of me! If I hadn't suggested that we go talk to the rest of them this never would've happened...

Just then, the door burst open, Merida and Hans strutting in beside North himself. I knew we were in for it now.

Jack's POV

North grabbed me by the back of my jacket and lifted me up to his face. "Jackson... you've done it again, haven't you?" He snarled, his face becoming red with anger. "You're going to get it tonight boy." I could feel his breath on my face. His nostrils flared. His eyebrows came low over his eyes. He took his other hand and put it over my neck. "And it's only the first day... you're going to feel the pain boy... you're going to feel it..." I closed my eyes, and held my breath, expecting pain to flood through me.

"Hey! North!"

But there was no pain.

"It was my idea!" North dropped me to the ground, and kicked me in the stomach. Hard. I clutched my stomach in pain, and got up, pain spreading through my veins. My vision became fuzzy. My body started to numb with pain. I dropped back to the ground, my head hitting the concrete floors. A trickle of blood went to the ground, and I could feel myself losing my consciousness.

"I had the idea! Jack didn't! It wasn't his fault!" Even through the ringing that had just reached my ears, I knew who's voice that was. And it was the only voice I wanted to hear.

"It was me."

Then everything went black, his voice still ringing in my head after everything else was gone. And even that was gone now too.

***

Hiccup's POV

"Damn you Haddock..." North grumbled as he walked towards me, the ground shaking with every stomp. "What did you say, boy?"

"I said," I stammered, trying hard not to let my voice tremble "that it was me." He growled in distaste.

"I would expect more out of you Haddock. I'll deal with you later, and trust me, it will not be pretty." He put his fist against his palm and turned around slowly, glaring at me over his shoulder. He then turned to Hans, Merida, Flynn and Rapunzel, who had Snoutlout, Fishlegs and Astrid, and stormed out, all of them following.

I exhaled, knowing that it was over. I watched them leave, and out of the corner of my eye I saw blood- JACK! I ran over to him, his eyes closed, his heart still beating, but way too fast, and way too slow.

"Oh my god... what have I done..." I picked up one of his hands and rubbed it slowly, wishing for his eyes to open. I wanted to see his ice blue eyes more than anything...

"Don't worry Jack, you'll be okay, you'll be okay."