Chapter 9

Jack's POV

I shut the door behind me, and locked it. I put my suitcase up on the top of the desk, and zipped open the secret pocket. I pulled out my sketches and taped them to the wall. I pulled out my tools and the pen, as well as a couple other things I had been working on. I angled the desk lamp toward the pen, and began working. I could already feel my thoughts drifting away from Hiccup and the trophy. Now I could focus.

Hiccup's POV

I walked into the mess hall with my head hung low. Bunnymund and the others were sitting at our table, following me with their eyes.

"Before we address Hiccup, I would like to ask where Jack went," Bunnymund asked.

"He's in our room. He needs some alone time." I rested my elbow on the table, putting a hand to my forehead.

"Okay, I'll catch up with him later. Now Hiccup, you had a choice back there, correct? You could let Jack win, with the possibility of an injury, or you could have taken away our win by protecting him. Which one did you do?"

"Protected Jack."

"And what was the thing you should have done?"

"Let him win."

"Wrong!" He stepped out of the chair, an came over to me. He picked me up by the back of my jacket, and slapped me. I felt a red sting on my face. I tried to shake it off, and but my lip to hold back the tears.

"You go with your gut soldier! You made the right decision boy! But you didn't think so, did you? Now why was that?!"

"Jack yelled at me afterwards! I-I don't know, just it felt wrong to strip him of that!"

"No! It's right to take it away! Not only did you save him from an injury, but you took away a lucky win! If he had gotten that, he would've thought that could work anytime! He needs to learn to adapt! To make new strategies! To earn his wins! I would teach him that normally, but I couldn't be in the ring. You did well. You just have to believe it, soldier. Keep up the good work. Dismissed. Return at eight for dinner. Now go!" I walked back to my room with very mixed feelings. Was it really the right thing to do? I don't know, but whatever the answer was, I didn't care now. I needed to make things right with Jack.