Chapter 14

Friday is spirit day. The football team decided that their dates should wear their jersey's. So I wear Rider's jersey, black shorts, and my black Nike roshes, with light blue Nike Elite socks, sticking to school colors. Brooklyn is in Trystan's jersey, and khaki shorts, and Cali is in Flynn's jersey, with dark wash jeans. The pep rally at the end of the day is insane. My voice is already gone, and Rider keeps laughing at me. But I just don't care.

At the game, Brooklyn has changed into a gorgeous blue dress, matching our school colors, for the homecoming queen announcement at halftime. I have put on a little makeup, along with my black war stripes under my eyes. As the football team runs onto the field, I can't help but look for Rider, and find him after a few seconds.

At halftime, they have the entire homecoming court come onto the field, which includes Brooklyn, I shout a good luck to her as her father takes her arm to escort her across the field.

They have announced all the runner-ups except for one and the winner. It's down to her and Kayla.

The announcer in the press box continues talking. "And the winner is," he pauses, obviously for the dramatic effect we don't need, "Brooklyn Moon! That means Kayla Lawrence as the first runner-up! Congratulations to everyone!" Cali and I scream and run down to the sideline to wait our turn to take a picture and hug her.

When it's our turn we hug her, and I whisper in her ear, "I'm so happy you beat that bitch." She just laughs.

The game gets really intense in the 4th quarter. With 3 minutes left, we're winning by one touchdown, and we have the ball. Our center hikes it to Rider, and he takes a few steps back, looking for an open receiver. Trystan is covered by two guys, and Flynn isn't in because he's not needed in this particular play as a running back. Out of nowhere, a defensive linemen comes from the other side, and hits Rider. Hard. He fumbles the ball, but luckily we recover it. Rider sits up once the guy gets off him, and waves for the medical team to come help him. After a few minutes, Rider is helped up and over to the bench.

I wish I could go to him, and find out what's wrong. All those medical prep classes would come in handy. If I could just get to him, I would know what was wrong, and then I would feel better about him. Surprisingly, Rider turns around, looking through the crowd, and smiles a little when he finds me. I frown at him, trying to ask him if he's okay. he waves me to him, and I eagerly go to him.

When I walk up to him, I squat in front of him facing him. "Are you okay? What happened? What did they guy say is wrong with you?" Gesturing to the athletic trainer, who is talking to the head coach.

He pats the top of my head, and I can feel the sweat from his hand. "I'm fine, princess," he laughs a little, "just a mild concussion. I'll be good as new in a few weeks."

"Thank god." I say, sagging with relief.

"Worried about me princess?" He smirks.

"Probably not. We need you for regionals." I laugh up at him.

"Way to ruin a moment, Emory."

"Good job trying to create one, Calloway."

"Rider!" Coach yells. "Your girlfriend needs to get off the field soon! No regular students allowed. Sorry kid."

Rider sighs. "Sorry Coach. She's in the med prep program, and I let her figure out what's wrong with me."

I look at him as I stand up. "How did you know I was in those classes?"

Rider just smirks and heads to the sideline, he turns around toward me. "How did you not know that I knew that you were in those classes?" and he turns around.