Chapter 6

I wake up, but I don't open my eyes. My head is pounding, and every muscle in my body hurts. I hear a constant beeping rhythm, and I feel a hand clasped to mine, but I know it's not my Mom's fragile, artists hands, or my dad's calloused hands. I slowly turn my head and open my eyes. I almost scream, because all I see is a head of light brown hair. I flinch, and the person jerks up.

"Rider?" I squeak.

He blushes, and pulls his hand out of mine, and my hand feels awkwardly cold. "Sorry. I couldn't leave you here alone. Your parents had to go your Mom's gallery. Some kind of emergency."

"What happened?"

"Shit. I am so sorry Sterling. It's all my fault. There was a driver, and he was drunk. He came into the our lane, so I tried to limit the damage done to us, so I swerved off the road. All we did was spin around a few times, and the back of my truck hit a tree."

"Is your truck okay?" I ask.

He busts out laughing. "I don't give a shit about my truck, Sterling. I can always get a new one." He pats my hand, and stands up.

"Where are you going?" I ask. I really don't want to be alone.

He smiles, genuinely. "Don't worry Sterling, I'm only going good for us. I'll be back in 10 minutes."

"Alright. Where are you going?"

"I'll see if I can go get you some real food. What would you want?"

"Zaxby's!" I smile.

He laughs, shaking his head. "I'll be back. Don't miss me too much."

And he's gone.

**************************

I fall back asleep, only to be woken by something warm being set in my stomach. I slowly open my eyes, and I see a Zaxby's bag. I immediately smile, and dig in.

Once we're done eating, a woman comes in. She's gorgeous. Strawberry blonde hair in a ponytail, and emerald green eyes. She's about 5'4, and her scrubs are a pretty green.

"Hello Sterling." She says. "How are you feeling?"

"I feel fine. A little sore, but nothing I can't fully manage." I smile at her.

"That's good. There's no severe injuries, but you have a slight bruise across your collarbone. Do you know how that happened?"

Rider speaks up. "That was me. When I swerved, I put my arm across her." He looks a little guilty.

She smiles at the both of us. "Well Sterling, you better be glad he did that. Your seatbelt was under your arms, so you would have gone through the windshield. He quite possibly saved your life. And I bet the bruise on his arm is worse."

I never had looked at his right arm. "Let me see it, Rider." I look at him.

"No. It's fine. It's not bad." He refuses to look at me.

I hit his shoulder. "Dammit Rider! Let me see it."

He sighs and turns toward me. "It's not as bad as it looks." He shows me his arm.

"Holy shit!" I say. His entire forearm is dark blue and black. I look at my clavicle, and there is only a forearm sized bruise, lighter blue, and yellowish.

The doctor clears her throat. "The good news is, your ankle is only sprained, and you can leave later today." She says, and explains it all.

When I am able to be released, my parents are still dealing with whatever, so Rider takes me home. He has a rental car, obviously. I get out of the wheelchair to get into the car, and don't even make it step without stumbling.

"Whoa there, Emory. you really need to be careful." Rider says as he wraps his arm around my waist.

I roll my eyes but let him help. "I'll be fine."

"I'm only worried about right now. Let's get you home."

When we get to my house, Rider runs around the car to my side, and lifts me up, carrying me bridal style.

"Oh my God Rider, out me down!" I scream and beat his chest.

He just chuckles, and continues to carry me. He pulls a key out, and unlocks my door.

"One, how the hell do you have to key to my house? That is very creepy. Two. I'm really tired. Lay me down on the couch."

He walks into the living room. "One. Your parents gave me your key, so it's not creepy. Two. Here you go." He lays me gently on the couch.

"Blanket?" I look at him, already feeling my eyes closing.

He laughs and walks out, then comes right back in, my favorite blanket in tow. It's gray, with a blue design on it, reminding me of Moroccan tiles. He lays it over me, and as I drift off, I feel him move my hair off my face, kiss my forehead, then head into the kitchen.

*******************************************************

I wake to hear hushed whispers, which suck. Then I hear two voices that jolt me awake immediately.

"Why the hell did you swerve?" One voice.

"I figured if I could angle the truck to hit my side or the back of the truck, instead of head-on to hurt her, it was much better." Rider says.

"Why were you distracted? You better not say you were texting." The other voice.

"I just was." Rider won't explain any further.

I hear the two voices laughing, deep and full of sarcasm. Only those boys would.

"Rider, I don't give a shit who you are. I will not hesitate to kick your ass. Tell me. Now." The second voice says.

"Shit. Okay. I got distracted because there was a song playing. When we were going down the road, I started singing, because I know how much she likes, even if she wouldn't tell me. After a few lines, I looked over at her, and she had her eyes closed. I just got distracted, because she looked so peaceful. She never shows that face at school. It just surprised me."

I can't take anymore. I slowly open my eyes, and turn toward the guys.

"Shit."

"Shit."

"Shit."

"Shit." I say last. Standing in front of me, is Rider, and my brothers, Mason and Brennan.

Mason and Brennan look between me and Rider, but I lock eyes with Rider.

Both of my brothers tense up. "You've got some explaining to do little sister." Brennan says to me.

"And you've got some explaining to do, kid." Mason is scowling at Rider.

"Shit." Rider says.