Chapter 4

We walk off his back deck, onto the white beach. He has a gazebo set off to the right, and a bonfire pit to the left. We walk straight out. The waves are pretty big for it being the Gulf of Mexico.

"Sterling. Usually, I would make you stay on the sand learning it for an hour. But because you're going to be difficult, we're going straight to the water." Yay.

He teaches me as much as he can, correcting, criticizing, and even yelling praise when I would ride a wave in. After a while, he comes in as I'm finishing a ride in. "I'm hungry. Let's go eat lunch."

"What the hell Rider! We said 1 hour!"

"Dammit Calloway. Now we're behind. I'm going to have to stay longer, and I was going to a party. Shit. We're skipping lunch."

"Calm down Emory. The only party worth going to tonight is here."

"You're having a party here tonight?"

"Yeah. Mom and Dad are going to the Florida game tonight. They'll be back tomorrow around noon. Actually, they should be leaving right about now."

I stare at him, my jaw drops. "You're parents are going to the football game tonight? God they're lucky. I wish I could go. They're playing LSU, and it's going to be fucking awesome."

Now our expressions are mirrored. "You, Sterling Emory, like football?"

"Hell yeah, Calloway. Me helping you means I'll probably have to miss the game too. Damn. That is going to be good."

"Oh hell no. You're staying here. We'll study until kickoff. Then you can watch the game here. You'll just be here at the party first." He smirks, then walks into the house. He turns towards me again. "I accidentally dropped your shirt in the shower. You can have one of mine, and I'll bring you your jeans."

Once I'm changed into my jeans and his shirt, which is black and big on me, and smells really good, I go to the dining room. It's painted a pretty yellow, with a white, eight-chair dining table, and chrome chairs.

Without looking up he says, "About damn time. Let's do this. I still have to go to Target before the game."

"Language!" His mother shouts, and she walks in, along with a man. He has blonde hair, cropped short, and brown eyes.

The man looks at me, and smiles. "Please tell me you're the girl who is trying to set my son straight."

I laugh and sit down next to Rider. "Yes sir. Although I can't make any promises."

He laughs. "About damn time someone tries to set him straight. I just hope he doesn't mess it up."

His mother rolls her eyes. "They're both hopeless. We'll be back tomorrow afternoon." Rider stands up and hugs his dad, then kisses his mother on the cheek. She starts to walk away, but turns towards me, and says, "I do hope he doesn't run you off. I've missed having a girl around." She turns towards her husband. "Brent. Ass. In the car. Now." And they're gone.

Rider turns toward me. "We have one hour to study. Then we need to run to Target to get food. We'll watch the game, and then we'll party hard."

After studying, we get into his truck to go to Target.

"I'm warning you. I've got a Luke Bryan playlist that kicks ass." he says smirking. But I can see the embarrassment behind it.

"He's the shit. Blast it." I say to him. He genuinely smiles, and plugs his iPhone into the stereo. I Don't Want This Night To End begins to play, and he sings to himself, although I can hear him.

"Girl I know I don't know you, but your pretty little eyes so blue are pulling me in, like the moon on your skin." The song continues, and he sings the entire song, word for word, and his voice is great.

When we get to Target, we go inside, and he looks at me. I stare back at him with confusion. "Why are you liking at me like that? We're here for you."

"We're here so we can get food for the game. So you pick something out, I'll either agree or disagree."

"Don't judge me. Come game time, I eat like a man."

He laughs, and throws his arm over my shoulders. "You're getting more attractive by the minute."

**********

"Marry me."

"Why? Because I'm not scared to yell profanity at the refs while stuffing tequila lime wings and Dr. Pepper down my throat? Yeah. So attractive."

"This makes me so happy. Most of the time, girls are trying to fucking cuddle me in my lap, and giggle, and kiss me, and all in trying to do is watch a game. This is so refreshing."

"Well. I'm not most girls. They don't know anything about it, so it's not important. I grew up around it. You know that. Brennan is at Florida, being a fucking awesome starting linemen." My brother, Brennan, was a star at my high school, but he's two years older. He's a starting offensive linemen at the University of Florida. He used to be the only reason Rider wouldn't get sacked our sophomore year.

"Yeah I know. I guess I just thought you never really cared."

"Umm. Hello? Have you never seen me at a pep rally? I'm so much worse at the game."

He outright laughs. "Yeah I know. Sometimes I hear you."

I feel myself blush, and I look at him. "Really? You can hear me?"

"Hell yeah. I know you cheer for me the loudest."

"Good job, moment ruiner." I shove him and roll my eyes. I concentrate on the game, definitely not noticing the nervousness I feel with him sitting so close.