prologue

Thomas' grip tightened on his sister's hand as they ran through WICKED's lonely corridors. Bits of light from the tiny overhead spotlights produced a pattern on the ground that the two continued to run through. The hall was almost never empty, which is why they had to do this now.

What they were doing could get Thomas in tremendous trouble if they got caught. Rachel was scared for her brother's safety. She knew he was important to the Trials, but that didn't mean he wouldn't get in a lot of trouble. Thomas, on the other hand, was ready to accept the consequences for his actions. He wanted his sister to be safe, so he's putting her into the Maze with his best friends. He knew these boys well; they would keep her safe.

Rachel was trained to be above pain. To hide all emotion. But in this moment, her heart hurt and it was a mission to hold back tears. She's been getting ready for this moment for years, but now that it's come, she was scared.

And nervous. The thought of losing all memory of her brother was as scary as the thought of a crank. Thomas wasn't too happy about it either, but they had no choice. If Rachel were to have her memories, then she would find her way out of the Maze in no time. Then, she would go with Group B like she was supposed to.

Thomas slowed to a stop, his heart hammering in his chest. He turned to Rachel. "You ready?" he asked.

She gulped down the lump in her throat and nodded. She shifted her weight from foot to foot in nervousness. "I'm ready," she said trying to sound brave, but she couldn't lie to her brother. She knew he saw right through her.

Thomas nodded and shakily pulled a syringe out of his pocket. He stared at it for a second, hesitant to the idea. This was his idea, and he knew he had to do it. Thomas just didn't like the thought of his sister in danger.

Rachel noticed his pause and took his hands in hers. The twos gaze connected. Both had tears in their eyes that refused to spill.

"Thomas," Rachel started. She knew there was no way to talk her brother out of this, so she didn't try. She sucked in a gulp of air. "It's okay. It's all going to be okay. I'll be fine out there."

Thomas stopped for a second and examined his sister's face one last time, for the next time he would see her it'd be on a computer screen. He stepped forward. Putting his unoccupied hand on the back of her head, he kissed her forehead.

Because this was it. They were going behind the Chancellor's back just because they couldn't live without each other.

Thomas pulled away and looked back at his sister. "Are you ready?" he asked once more.

Rachel nodded again.

Thomas positioned the syringe so it poked at Rachel's skin right above an awaiting vein. He let out a slow breath and looked into his sister's eyes. "Remember, Rachel. Not with your mind, but with your heart."

Then Rachel saw nothing but black.

There was no going back, now.

Happy Scorch Trials day!!! Legit, I'm freaking out. Crying right now, on the bus. I'm on my friends phone right now. Lol. She reading this too, but whatever.

So, what did you think? Feedback please!

Peace out, Greenies!

- M I S S Y