Chapter sixteen

Chapter 16

For hours I tossed and turned in my bed trying to get some sleep but it was no good. No matter how or what I tried I couldn’t stop thinking about Matty, and how soon enough he’s going to forget about me and go with his Mate instead. That hurt a lot more than it should, and I suddenly realized that I know how Hannah feels, loving someone so badly it hurts but wanting your friend to be happy. How does she do it? How does she manage to stay away when it hurts so much?

Hot tears trailed down my face and I angrily wiped them away and sat up, swung my legs out of bed, and stood in the moonlight that coalesced into a pool on my bedroom floor. I will NOT be weak anymore! I’ve had enough of it! Whether I reject Daniel or not, I’m not going to pine after Matty anymore. No matter how much I love him, no matter how jealous I get or how deeply I wish I’m the one who falls asleep in his arms at night, seeing him happy is more important. And that means nothing romantically from me anymore. He needs friends, not a girl pining after him when he needs to focus on his Mate.

I swallow the tears and step out of the moonlight making my way over to my wardrobe where I pick out a pair of jeans and a top from my drawers and quickly throw them on. I grab my pair of dinosaur socks and tug them on along with my black converse. In a few steps I’m pushing my window open and I take a moment to calculate the fall before I jump.

My bedroom is only on the second story so the fall isn’t too far but I made sure to fall on the grass just in case, and to make sure I don’t make any noise. I’ve gone out lots of times for late night runs, but for some reason this is the only time I’ve ever worried about getting caught. Maybe because it’s the only time someone would make me stay in.

I slowly straighten from my crouch and take a deep breath of cool air as I start to jog away from my house. I glance around me as I run, enjoying the difference the darkness and silence make. Streets that are usually bustling with activity now seem sleepy. Everything is so silent and mysterious that I can’t resist the urge to look and laugh at everything as I run down the centre of the roads. It’s fun seeing things in a different light and I mentally make note to go on midnight runs through the streets more often.

If my Mate lets me that is. I sigh heavily as I think about Daniel. I feel sorry for him. The fates have really decided to mess up his life. I chuckle lightly as I wonder if Aphrodite or Venus decided to liven up his life to bring them some entertainment. My laughter fades as I come to the realization that it isn’t just one live that’s messed up by this, It’s Hannah’s as well as mine and Matty’s, and even Kristen’s. I shake my head sadly and try to stifle my anger at the idea of the Goddesses of love or fate mixing our lives up so just to entertain themselves.

Against my will I let out a growl but I’m snapped back to reality when I see a light turn on in an upstairs window in a house across the street. I start and jump back a step, ashamed at myself more than anything because here I am standing across the street from Matty’s house. I mentally growl at myself, my eyes on the light in Matty’s window. Here I am doing the exact thing I promised myself just a few minutes ago that I wouldn’t do anymore. My skin starts to prickle and I start as I stop daydreaming and realize that I’m staring right into Matty’s eyes.

For a second everything feels perfect. I forget that I’m standing outside in the cold or that Matty and I both have Mates now. All I remember is how I felt that night four weeks ago - that wonderful night that I can’t seem to forget, that not even my Mate’s touch can erase from my memory. For a second everything feels perfect and it’s just me and him, but then he pulls away from his window and lets his curtain close. For a second I’m numb, not sure what just happened or what to do, and then I see it.

Her silhouette suddenly comes into focus next to Mattys. I see her lean in as if for a kiss and after a moment he leans in too, then he picks her up and then they move away from the window. Icy coldness rushes through me and I’m choking back tears. I furiously shake my head then I’m sprinting down the road. I know exactly what they’re going to do now and I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t hurt to know he accepted his Mate so quickly ... that he forgot me so quickly. I trip over a loose stone and skid across the pavement, but I’m up in a moment and stumbling on, tears cascading freely down my face.