Part 7: He Isn't Like Them

Patrick's POV:

There was no understanding of time in Pete's house. When the daylight is dulled, and your phone is dead you don't really know if you woke up early or later. That is until he comes into the room, holding a tray covered in breakfast items.

"Morning. I took the liberty of going out an fetching some groceries before daylight. Although I don't cook for myself, I know how to treat a guest."
I couldn't resist smiling at him, and he set the tray on my lap.
It was literally overflowing with goods, and I assumed he had forgotten how much food an actual person could devour.

"Thank you, Pete, but, um, I don't believe I'm extremely famished. Eggs would've sufficed me."
His face lit up when he realized this and laughed out loud. He quickly covered his mouth to hold back the giggles and cleared his throat.
"I'm sorry. I guess I'm just like a concerned mother. Eat what you can. I'll take the scraps to some homeless people down the block."

He stood there, silently watching me consume my meal. I didn't mind it at all. I enjoyed his company actually.
"So you'll be going back home, correct?" he asked.
"Yeah. I made a promise. I don't want to be too much of a bother. You've helped me quite enough."

Pete nodded to himself,and I took in the setting. Although his home did appear to have a depressing atmosphere, I found it to be aesthetically pleasing at most. The way the color scheme of the whole room perfectly blended was one of my favorite parts about it.
"Did you design your house?"

"Well not originally, but over the years I've made it my own. The outside needs some maintenance, but I like the weeds and bushes and dead grass that sprout. It gives everything a comfortable feel. I don't want a perfect house to mask what my life really is."
"And what is it?"

He furrowed his eyebrows and crossed his arms.
"It's difficult to describe, but it hasn't been pleasant. I've suffered losses greater than you can imagine, and I never wanted to live with vengeance in my blood because it doesn't change what happened. With William, though, he deserves whatever bad comes to him. What he made me into is something you can't easily forget."

I put the tray aside and went over to him.
"You aren't like William," I said, placing my hand on his arm.
"What I do isn't any different from what he does. It's a matter of how you view things that changes your opinion. Deep down, though, I'm him in every aspect."
He reached for my phone on the nightstand, giving it to me.

"I have a charger you can use hidden somewhere in my clothes. If you need me I'll be in the shower, but besides that you can go home if you want."
Pete gathered an outfit and wandered into his restroom. I eyed the closet one last time before finding the cord and letting my phone gain a stable percentage. I noticed I had missed calls coming from both Andy and Joe's cells.

I did say I was going to meet them, and they weren't usually impatient fellows. The shower's water sounded a second later. I decided to phone Joe, but he didn't pick up. When I tried Andy it went straight to voicemail. A tiny ounce of worry was creeping into the pit of my stomach as I continued to try my options of calling and texting.

Finally, Joe answered, and I couldn't have been any more relieved.
"Joe, oh my God. I was so close to freaking out. Are we still going to meet later?"
"Yeah. Sure."

His voice sounded odd. When did he have an accent?
"Um...are you okay, dude?"
"Last night shook me up. That's all. I'm not feeling well."
"Maybe I should cancel this. I don't really need to know what's been going on. I'm just grateful you're alive and that you saved me."

 Joe cleared his throat, and he was silent for a moment. I was even sure he hung up until I saw he was still on the line.
"What happened last night? After I ran off?" I asked.
"Listen how about we have dinner at your place? I can talk to you better then. I'll buy something on the way."

"O-okay. See you then."
The other end went dead. He was acting strange, and I didn't like it. Yet, how were you supposed to act if you killed vampires for a living? I browsed Pete's selection of clothes and pulled a few out that looked like my size.

The water had stopped by the time I had put on a pair of skinny jeans and a Nirvana shirt. I hoped he wouldn't mind me borrowing it since I enjoyed the band myself.
"Patrick, you still there?" Pete exited the restroom in nothing more than a towel wrapped dangerously low around his waist, exposing protruded hip bones and a glossy v-line.
Water droplets decorated his cut upper body and curly, black hair making him appear to be mildly more attractive than he was originally. Not that I would care.

"Oh. I-I heard you talking, and I thought someone else was here."
"It's fine. I was talking to Joe, my friend and- uh- one of the hunters from last night. I'm about to go. Thanks for everything. I don't know how I can repay you, but I'll find something."
"No. Don't burden yourself. I basically got you into this mess."

"William did actually. You've been stopping him."
Pete nodded and swallowed hard. I wondered about his past. Sixty years was a long time for someone to experience.

There must've been some kind of history between William and him to spark such hatred. I wasn't going to nose around in what wasn't my business, but considering his nemesis was still out there I had a feeling this wasn't goodbye for us. We would see each other again. Hopefully, not in a situation where he would have to rescue me. I had made it back to the bookstore unscathed, and Elisa was waiting inside.

"Your parents unlocked the door for me. They told me to keep an eye out for you, but they're in the back."
She smirked and brought me in for a hug.
"You're always scaring me, you dork. Where have you been?"

Her coconut scent was absolutely intoxicating, and I couldn't necessarily think of an excuse when she was smelling so nice.
"You going to answer me?" Elisa let go and put her hand on her hip.
"I was eating dinner with Joe and Andy, and it got late so I crashed at their place."

She raised a perfectly thin brow at me, "And you expect me to believe that? Joe and Andy would never let you stay at their apartment full of chemicals and poisons. You told me that before."
"They...had a change of heart."
She scoffed and swung her bag over her shoulder, "I don't know who you've been hanging with and honestly, I don't care. Just be careful, okay?"

To my surprise, she pressed her lips against my cheek, leaving a tingling sensation on my skin.
"Catch you around."
I watched her go and figured I best find my position behind the counter before my parents began to scold me for being lazy. At least tonight, I wouldn't be around anyone bad. Joe was a hunter after all.

A/N: Um I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update considering I'm working on rough drafts of yet to be published stories at the moment. I'm definitely not abandoning this story. Don't get the wrong idea. I just seem to be dividing my time towards other things lately. I'll try to keep this story going consistently but with my fourth week of school rolling around it'll be difficult. Just be patient with me. Thank you.