17.

Silence. That was how the car journey was going down and it was one of those awkward moments again. Tim had come and got me in silence, lead me to his car in silence and made it out of the city in silence. I was too afraid to speak in fear of getting my head bitten off.

After half an hour, I thought things had gotten to ridiculous and decided it was time to bring up Sandy and clear the air. 'Erm... I think I know why you are mad.'

'No you don't.' Oh, well that was abrupt. He didn't even know what I was going to say.

'But I really think I do. I was ever so proud of myself when I worked it out.' I tried to give him a friendly smile but he wasn't having any of it. 'Ok so I figured that you kinda thought that me and Sandy might have been, you know, flirting.' This got his interest so I was on the right track. 'I promise we weren't! I know you like her and I'm sorry you-'

'Not it.' He interrupted. 'For the record, I don't like her like that. Now do you mind if I put on some music? I've been dying to listen to some all day.' This was such a big fat lie and he knew I knew, but I let him have it. He pressed a button on his dash and the radio came on, and the volume was loud enough to block out voices so he obviously didn't want to talk.

He had to fancy Sandy, otherwise nothing made sense. Maybe he was in denial and didn't even realise he liked her? Stuff like this happens all the time - a guy likes a girl but can't admit it to himself so he acts like a prick towards her and it isn't till they kiss or something when they realise their feelings.

I might ask him again or get him to talk about it. Once we are back to being best buddies that is - he would probably kill me if I bother him any time soon. Maybe I could even help him realise his feelings and play match-maker!

I smiled to myself at the thought, although the instant I did, it became a frown. Somehow, I didn't like the idea of seeing them as a couple. They would only end up leaving me out and do a load of couple things and I won't have my friend anymore. Plus I won't have that with Tiffany and I'll be all alone. Hmmm. That must be why I feel like this.

We were nearly at Wolverhampton by the time the small talk started up. A car cut us up on the motorway and we ranted and raved to ourselves at their stupidity. After that, he turned the volume down on the radio. After a few more minutes, I made a comment on the weather. A few more minutes later and Tim mentioned something about work. By the time we arrived in the city and nearly home, we seemed like friends once again.

'Hey, I'm sorry for being a jerk today.' He was finally apologising.

I didn't want to be arguing any longer so I accepted his apology. 'It's ok man. You were busy and you are mad at me for something but I promise to make it up to you. We can have a laugh all weekend as I show you round and hopefully that'll be enough to stop you being mad.' I smiled my biggest smile and he returned it back at me. Suddenly things felt normal once more.

We pulled up to my house and found a mother waving from the window - almost like she'd been looking and waiting for us to arrive. Without much more thought, I got out the car and walked straight up to the door and pulled her into a big hug. Once I let her go, we all walked into the house.

'I must say it's great now that you finally remembered. So when did you realise?' She looked eagerly at me expecting me to say something.

'Remembered what exactly? I am still pretty clueless.' Her focus went to Tim and her eyes widened. I could see him out of the corner of my eye and it looked like he had just been motioning the 'kill it' sign. 'Remember what?' I pressed.

'Oh, er... I just thought that you had remembered your friendship with Tim of course.' She didn't sound too convincing but I chose not to ask any more - I may just offend her if I accuse her of lying. 'How lovely, good to see you made friends again though - even if you can't remember how it was before.'