15.

'Love you too mom. I'll see you Friday when you get back from work. Take care.' I hung up the phone and went to check on the food. The news of my visit had actually gone better than expected and she sounded excited when I mentioned that Tim was coming.

Waltzing into the kitchen, I walked over to the food, and my boss. 'I swear that woman needs a man. When I said you were coming she practically screamed.'

'Oh I don't think that was why.' It came out no more than a mutter but I heard it. Does he know something I don't? Of course he does - I don't know anything. He was currently stirring something on the hob that smelt delicious.

'What do you mean? That looks amazing by the way - I didn't realise you knew how to cook as well.' I was almost drooling into the pan it looked that good.

'Doesn't matter. And another little secret: we cook together most of the time. My mother was Italian so I'd be a bad son if I didn't know a thing or two about food. It's actually one of the first things we ever did together and we've kept it up ever since.' He was smiling that smile again and I felt a swell of something - can you have a swell of friendship? I just can't place it.

'Was, as in...?' He nodded which meant his mother had passed. 'Tell me more about you, that's if you don't mind. You know so much about me but I know nothing about you. Or nothing I can remember.'

'Sure. You knew all this anyway so I may as well tell you.' We started to dish up the sort-of-stew and Tim poured on his sauce. 'My dad remarried and is happy in a retirement home in Devon. I don't see him too often but we speak all the time.' He paused for a moment, as if he was debating with himself over whether he should tell me something. 'You've spoken to him actually and he loves you.'

I feel happy knowing I've spoken to his family for some reason. My happiness put aside for a moment whilst we finish dishing up. Salivating over our creation, we make our way to the living room to eat where he continues to tell me about himself.

'I am from Devon originally but moved here after my mother passed 5 years ago. The company took a few years to establish but I got there in the end and even needed to hire an extra architect I was that busy - that's where you came in.' I gave him a thoughtful smile.

'I am 29, Libra' - I chuckled because he was starting to sound like an old school dating video now and he knew it - 'I like cooking and eating. I go camping once a year by myself, although you were going to join me on my next trip.

Hmm, what else? I don't like pets, probably because I'm allergic to cats. My favourite colour is blue. I love the rain... And I'm running out of things to say.' He laughed and took a big bite of his dinner.

I only just realised I'd stopped eating my dinner because I was that engrossed with what he was saying. 'So tell me about how I got the job and when we started to become friends. You keep telling me that I need to find things out on my own but only you can tell me about all that stuff.' I added sarcastically; 'That's if it won't 'do more harm than good'.'

He gave me a playful swat round my head. 'Maybe that swat will jiggle around some brain cells and make you work again.' Obviously he wasn't being serious. 'Fine. As you have guessed, I needed a new architect and you applied. Being London, I was flooded with CV's but you came down personally and harassed my receptionist so much she started to warm to you.'

'Oh god, I hope I apologised for that.'

'You did and she loves you now. I think she even prefers you to me but don't tell her I said that.' There was a twinkle in his eye as he talked about her. They could be seeing one another, it would make sense. The thought made me sad, but surely I would be happy for him? 'So you became allies and she helped push your CV to the top of the pile. Every day. I actually binned it several times without even looking at your work. But then the very next day, I would find it back on the top of the pile again.