Prologue

Prologue

The whispers echoed throughout the flower bushes. My heart stopping as the glint of her knife was suddenly in view. Raising my gun, I pressed my back against Sail, my fingers laced with his as we slowly circled around waiting for the kill. My breath was caught in my black tunic, my hair slowly unraveling from my bloody bandage, holding it up. My wrists bled from the sudden slash.

She was here.

Quickly untangling our fingers, I reached for my knife that was set in my belt. Watching the rushing blade steer towards my chest - my heart - was caught by my knife. Exhaling in a slow relief, I pushed the blade back, watching it swirl back into the darkness. I watched as a glare was flashed, triggering my reflexes and sending a bullet whizzing through the dark, damp air.

Vow, hanging on a long branch, sent her arrow flying through the breaking dawn. It was new to have so many people kill one enemy, and not aiming for my hip whenever the chance crossed. Sail quickly pulled me down, pulling me in his chest and curling up. My back arched into his as we watched Cover grab the colorless, shadeless hair and kicking her arms away.

Quickly rising, everyone dashed to the blade. The Game. It would set us free. Throwing myself in the air and dragging my fingers through the hair of grease and blood, I yanked her head back, exposing the neck. Ocean jumping down with Kemint and Vow, sent bullets, arrows and darts crashing through her throat. Nitera, clenching her spear tightly, slowly emerging from the ground sent the spear through our enemy's body. Her lifeless, dark eyes ran out of her sockets, escaping the agony that had crashed against her heart. Nitera took her sweet time, wedging the spear's blade deeper, before jumping up and yanking the stick clean. The blood exploded across our faces. The shrieks of the children were sent shaking the atmosphere as we watched in a deafening silence; we awaited for her body to unravel.

The thread of her hair was washed from my fingers and Cover's hand. The Game dropping safely in Sail's hand, causing anger to grow in the audience. The clean air was given to us as I watched the daylight wash our frigid bodies. Ocean collapsed to the ground exhausted, Kemint hugged Nitera with his might, thankful for her spear. Her long, golden curls shone blindingly in the sun as we watched the spear crash to the ground, leaving the splinters in her palms highly noticeable. Vow clasped her hands over her mouth as she crashed to the ground happily. Her rare tears of joy streaked her tired cheeks, as I gingerly approached her, feeling the presence of my team drag behind.

Extending my hand for her to take, Vow was risen from her knees and given to Cover for a hug. My own tears escaped my eyes suddenly, my loud and relieved sobs. Sail, clasping The Game like a child, handed it to me before pulling me into a hug.

Even though happy endings were far from being granted, I was relieved that everything had fell apart. The first Emag had been won by the seven of us, successful and quick, causing the Richs to stir in disturbance, complaining none should have been alive.

It was true that none of us should even be breathing and hugging like a family, but the warmth that radiated in The Gardens for the first time was a relief. We were no longer in a blood lust arena, hunting each other's asses. We were opened to the smell of the crisp autumn leaves and to the sound of sweet rain starting to pour.

Relieved to believe that my ending of happiness was no dream, the voices spoke.

"Oh, Ever, so foolish...."

The tension grew as the arena walls were slowly being lowered. A thick line of Dis and Takers circled us as four silhouettes shook the ground. Everyone stiffened as they reluctantly escaped their hugs, then gingerly forming a confident line in front of the Alices. The Game clasped firmly in my hand, the crystal slowly opening the scars on my palms. I pulled the bandage from my hair, and let my dark chocolate hair run down my neck.

Wanting to spit and cuss at those bastards was restrained as they pulled their scythes from their backs. Clover's long green curls pressed against her flesh delicately as she kept her dazzling, diamond studded, scythe gleamed as it was lowered towards our feet. A smirk playing across her delicate green flesh, sent Ocean rushing forward, then being pulled back by Nitera violently, no mercy served.

"Someone has to die first," Love spoke softly, running her long white nail across her static, liquid incased scythe. Her eyes flashing at us, the evil black heart flashed at us causing the static to bring her delicate pigtails to a frizzy white.

"And I'm afraid," Sharp whispered and pressed his palms to his eyes, causing the blackness to rain over us. His palms removed, the pupils struggling to form into diamonds, darted in different directions. He let the blood of his fingers run down the smooth blade, as the leader staggered forward.

Blue and devious like the sea, he rose his hands of black spades. He's long arm handle of children, had bite marks running along the sides. His blade snapping towards me, pressing threateningly against my throat. "It'll have to be you."

Gulping hesitantly, I waited for the flash to burn my vision and welcome me to an eternal slumber. Feeling my flesh open up, I let my tears drop on to The Game, causing a glow to erupt.