Chapter 2- Brielle

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Dice jumps and wiggles around as bullet after bullet slams into him. His face remains filled with rage as he glares at Le'Shelle. If he could reach her, he would tear her apart limb by limb with his bare hands. At long last, there's an audible click. This evil bitch has run out of bullets. However, to everyone's disbelief, Dice remains standing-but barely.

"What the fuck?" one nigga marvels.

The shit spooks the small crowd as they stare open-mouthed at Dice. A sliver of hope blossoms in my chest but then dies when Dice wobbles on his weakening legs and blood streams from both corners of his mouth.

"Dice."

I take advantage of my shocked captors and scramble out of their grasp. But by that time, my man drops to his knees like a stone, and his eyes slowly roll toward mine. Our connection doesn't last longer than a second, but in that time I read so much in his eyes. Regret. Sorrow. Love. It's the love that I'm going to remember and cherish. At last he tilts over and collapses against the gravel and dirt.

"Whoa, ho, ho," Dreadlocks laughs.

"Did y'all see that zombie shit? What the fuck?"

"Noooo," I moan, shaking my head as I crawl over glass, sharp rocks, and God knows whatever else.

I have to reach him.

"Dice... baby?"

"That nigga was a fuckin' soldier," another goon praises from behind me.

"I ain't seen no shit like that in all my life."

My breath thins when I reach Dice. He looks like a broken mannequin, lying in a growing pool of blood. I try to take it all in, but I'm wondering how on earth to put him back together again.

"Dice... baby?" My hands tremble as I reach out to touch his face.

"Fuck that nigga. He ain't no damn body," Le'Shelle snaps.

"Grab Brielle and let's get the fuck out of here."

I sit and carefully pull Dice's head into my lap.

"I'm sooo sorry," I whisper as tears cascade over my lashes and fall onto his face.

"This is all my fault. I knew better and ... Please, I can't lose you like this. I love you. Oh, God, you don't know how much I love you." Lowering my head, I rain kisses across his still face.

"Please, please forgive me."

Once the sobbing starts, I can't stop. I no longer feel the pain in my jaw, my ass, or even in between my legs. The only pain that is threatening to kill me is the one that is in my heart.

"I SAID GRAB THE BITCH!" Le'Shelle yells. "What the fuck are y'all doing? We ain't chillin' out in Disneyland. We gotta get the fuck out of here."

"Dice I'm so sorry," I repeat over and over again, rocking his head in my lap.

"Please forgive me. Please."

I'm vaguely aware of approaching feet. I lock my arms around Dice's shoulders. At this moment, I have one truth: I want to die here with him.

"You heard your sister. It's time to go!" An arm as hard as steel latches around my waist and pulls me up so fast that he also pulls Dice up as well. But I lose my grip, and Dice slams down onto the ground again.

"Dice, NOOOOOO!" I thrust out my hands, trying to reach him.

"Goddamn, this bitch got a fuckin' pair of lungs!"