The Next Morning

I woke up to my dad blaring his stereo system as loud as he could, which meant he was probably working on the truck. It was what he normally did in the mornings when he didn't have work. I slid out of my bed and made my way into the front room only to be ambushed by my two puppies.

"Hey guys! How are you?"

I started rubbing their bellies. They were huskies and one of them was a boy and the other was a girl. Kaila, the girl, had a smaller more squished face and a spot of dark fur that made a mask around her eyes, while Darren, the boy, had a longer face and had patches of fur under his eyes which looked like he hadn't slept in a while. They licked my wrists and tried tackling me. I smiled and rolled backwards. They took the oppurtunity to lick my ears and face.

"Okay guys! Stop it," I laughed.

They barked and started chasing eachother around to the front room. I smiled while watching them. I stood up and went to the kitchen to get some food. The fridge didn't have much in it so I just pulled out a jello cup and got a spoon. I sat on the back porch and started eating. It was very bright out and a nice cool breeze rustled through the leaves of the trees.

"Hey kimmy," My mom said as she entered through the side gate.

"Hey mom."

"Ah, jello, the breakfast of champions."

"I know, right?"

"So what happened?"

"When?"

"When you headed over to Dylan's house?"

"Meaning, did I tell him?"

"Yeah."

I sighed deeply, "I didn't get to."

"How long were you there before... wait, how exactly did you get into a position to drown?"

"Um, we kinda went to a party."

"Kimberly Anne James!"

"Mom, face it, I'm growing up. That's not the important thing right now."

"How is that not important? You went to the lake didn't you?"

"Mom, Alice and him kissed."

She stopped in her tracks and sat next to me, "Oh Kimmy, I'm sorry."

Warm tears rushed down my cheeks, "It's alright, I wasn't really expecting to be with him anyways."

My mom didn't know what to say about that. She pulled me into a bear hug which made me break down completely into tears and sobs. I was glad my dad wasn't around to see his tomboy daughter acting like a little girl. I can't remember how much time passed after that, but my mom eventually calmed me down and went to do more laundry. I went back to my room to get changed and put on my running shoes.

I ran out the front door and continued down the street. There weren't many cars on the roads so I took a back road to one of my other friends houses. Her name was Emma and she was gonna end up being our class valedictorian. I kncked on her door and waited for her to open.

"Hey Kim, what's up?"

"Not much really. Just wanted to see if you can hang out."

 "Uh, sure. C'mon in."

I stepped into her house, "So where's your mom?"

"Work. So what you been up to?"

"Getting back from the hospital."

"Oh my god, Kim, what happened?"

"I almost drowned at the lake party."

"How come nobody told me?"