Things Get Complicated... And Dangerous

I woke up the next morning and breathed in a deep sigh. So much stuff had happened in the course of a few weeks and I had a feeling they would finally start to calm down. A soft, cool breeze blew into the room and I pulled the covers closer against me. A few minutes later I jumped out of bed and went to the bathroom. I took a quick shower and got dressed for school. Then I went down to the kitchen and grabbed a yogurt from the fridge. My mom would be stopping in from time to time and my uncle would be here when I got home from school every afternoon. Mornings however, were mine and mine alone.

I finished off my yogurt and headed out for the bus. While waiting, I toyed around with my charms. They sparkled slightly and I smiled at them both. The bus rolled up and I got on it and chose a seat at the back. It slowly filled with people and then made its stops the elementary and jr. high school. I was the last off the bus when we got to the high school.

it was quiet and I had a feeling that today would be calm and relaxing. I walked into the school and immediatly scanned for Matthew. Our eyes met and I watched him walk over to me. He had his hands in his pockets and a half smile across his lips. I felt my breath catch in my throat as he finally made his way to me.

"So, did you get in trouble?" He asked.

I laughed nervously,"No, there's to much going on right now."

He smiled down at me,"So we may have to try it again when nothing is going on then, huh?"

I smiled back at him,"why would we have to sneak away? What are you doing later tonight," I couldn't believe I had let the words escape from my mouth.

He seemed as suprised as me,"Are you asking me on a date?"

I blushed so bad I could feel the heat coming from my face,"Um, no, that is, unless... You are accepting."

He smiled then frowned suddenly, his eyes drifting to the window and what was behind it. I wanted to look back and see what had drawn his eyes from me, but my eyes didn't want to leave him. I saw a reflection in his eyes. Dylan was walking towards the front doors. A look of mixed emotions passed over Matt's face. He looked down at me.

"I'm gonna call rain check on this one." A slightly hurt expression passed over his features before he ran a hand through my hair and walked off.

I turned to face Dylan as he entered. He saw me and hurried forward. I stared at him the whole time, unmoving and barely breathing. He wore a look of desperation that I had never seen before. When he got to me, he grabbed one of my hands.

"Kim, I need to explain something to you."

"What?" I tried to pull my hand away but he held it firmly.

"I don't love Alice. I love you."

My heart stopped. I had been waiting to hear that for a long time and it was just as sweet as I imagined. The look in his eyes was truthful. He did love me... Why did he go with Alice then?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was painful watching him talk to her. He mad her forget her worries and pain. I could see it in her eyes. I wanted her to be happy and protected. What right had I to come into her life and want to be with her? I should have stayed a silent protector like the others had. Their charge didn't even know they were there.

He pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly to him. My stomach tied into a knot as I held back my urge to step forward and tear him away from her. Her arms snaked up around his waist. I felt my resolve faulter slighty, but I gathered up my strength and walked away towards my first class. Sadly it was her's too. Every part of me screamed run, but I couldn't. If I ran... she would die.