Wounded- Chapter Eight

Start from the beginning

"I need you to pick up a list of groceries. We seem to be bare in the pantry."

"Okay," I nodded and took a quick look at the list. It doesn't seem like I need the car.

"Also, Dianne has something for you."

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion and moved to slip my converse on.

"What is it?"

Mama shrugged. "I don't know. I guess you have to go and find out."

"Okay," I went to give her a quick hug. "Salaam!"

-*-

When I first saw the list I thought I wasn't going to need the car. There were only about ten small items to get and a few big things such as a medium sized thing of paper towel. But as I stand here in front of the impatient young woman at the counter going over all the items I picked up because they looked delicious, I can't choose what to put back. The cart is literally halfway full and I walked here! I really should start driving more often.

"Ma'am, are you going to buy something?" The girl asked impatiently . She isn't even looking in my direction. She's too busy examining her fingernails.

I nodded my head and began scrunching my eyebrows in confusion. I'm the only one in the store. Surely I can have an extra minute to think.

"Ma'am?"

"I am buying something," I snapped and started putting the items onto the counter. I can't put anything back. I guess I will have to walk, but hey, I will build muscles. And arm burns from the bags, my mind reminded me. But how can anyone have the heart to put back such snacks.

"45.67."

As I reached for my wallet, the ding of the door sounded,  and Tehreem's kids came in.

"Please can I get some candy?" Mina whined as she began pulling on her sisters sleeve.

Amna glared at her and pulled her sleeve back. "You know Ummi said no. Stop asking!"

"Aunt Ayah," Zakariah waved and started walking over from where he watched his sisters argue. At the sound of my name, they all came over to greet me, further irritating the cashier.

"We haven't seen you in so long," Amna beamed and pulled me into a hug. It's been a while since I saw them on the Eid a couple of months back.

"I know," I smiled and handed the money to Heidi, the cashier. For a small town, I don't remember seeing her around before.

"What have you guys been up to?"

"We just came back from the arcade," Zak said from where he grabbed something to drink from the refrigerator. "Do you think he will let me get soda?"

"Yes," Amna frowned. "But as soon as Ummi knows that you got it, she will be furious!"

Zak grumbles something under his breath, but put it back nonetheless. "Lemonade it is."

"Who brought you guys here?" I grabbed my many bags and balanced them half and half on my arms.

"Uncle Jafar," Amna said nonchalantly and placed a few snacks on the counter for Heidi to scan. "We were in Ummi's way, so he brought us out for some fun."

That means he must be outside. I know Jafar. But I'm surprised he didn't come inside. Tehreem made it a rule that whoever goes anywhere with her kids that they have to follow them like shadows.