search

Trying not to catch anyone's eye, I glance around the room. He's not here. At least, I can't see him. At all. Being as tall as he is, he can't be hard to miss. I crane my neck, but he's really not here. Disappointment pangs in my stomach.
"Baek!"
Sehun jabs me in the ribs with his elbow.
"Ow! What?" I hiss back, rubbing my side angrily.
"What're looking at, hyung? Luhan?" Sehun asks, gazing at the "deer"-faced boy sitting a few tables away.
"No! I'm not looking at... Anyone." I mumble, staring down into my food.
"I am. Just look at him! The things I would do to that bo - "
"Oh my god, Sehun, keep it to yourself!" I yelp.

I go back to the cliff that evening. Just in case. I have to see him. Chanyeol. It feels weird knowing his name.
As I climb the least steep part of the cliff, my heart begins to race. I tell myself it's because I'm scared of falling from this height, but maybe it's not. Maybe it's something else.
I get to the top quickly.
He's not there.
Of course he isn't. Why would he be?
I exhale slowly, and walk right up to edge of the rocks, right where Chanyeol was standing before.
The sun is just starting to set, making the sea glow gold. It's calmer today, almost still, but not quite.
I watch the waves lapping the rocky shore below.
A bird screeches.
The sky turns orange, pale fluffy clouds coloured pastel pink. I love sunsets, I think to myself vaguely.
I want to see Chanyeol so badly I've forgotten exactly why. It would be so easy to forget about him. I never really knew the kid in the first place. So why don't I just give up my ridiculous search? It's the rational thing to do, even I know that. But thinking about never seeing his face again makes my chest hurt.
The feeling is alien, completely new and weird and unfathomable. What's wrong with me?
When I finally start walking home, I can't work out how long I was up there for. It might have been minutes, or hours.
It's almost dark now, the colourful streaks in the sky faded to grey. The air is warm and uncomfortable.
Halfway down the cliff, I walk right into something. Someone. Someone who is tall and smells of limes, and when I look up, has dark floppy hair that shines in the moonlight. Moonlight. I hadn't noticed how dark it had gotten all of a sudden. I can't see the boys face properly in the shadows of the cliff. I try to dodge around him, stuttering out a sorry, and trip over my own feet, sprawling headfirst to the ground. I groan out loud.
Scrambling to my feet, I glance around for the guy I collided with. He's disappeared.
My left palm is bleeding. I wipe it on my jeans.