Chapter 10: Tests

Start from the beginning

"Where are you going?" Talon yelled. The three of them started to follow me.

"Where do you think that water's coming from?" I replied. Finally, they understood. We've found water.

Past another layer of trees, the stream came into view. Tetrick put his face into the water, gulping up anything he can get in his mouth. Chris started shuffling for canteens in her backpack and handed some to Talon. Talon started to fill them. Ignoring the water for the moment, I continued to follow the stream. I was curious about the water source.

Through the trees, I spotted the source. I couldn't believe my eyes. I ran past the trees and confirmed what I had seen. The stream is coming from a lake. A giant lake. There's sandy beach leading up to the water. But the lake isn't what's confusing me. It's what I can see not too far out in the distance.

"Guys! Come look at this!" I called.

When the three of them arrived, I could hear their gasps. Out in the distance, the Capitol was visible. You could see the buildings and you could even hear a quiet murmur of voices, if you listened closely.

"That's new. I don't think you've been able to see the Capitol from the arena before," Chris remarked.

"It's weird," I agreed.

Luke's POV

"So you're saying that you want me to kill Talon?" Atos, the Head Gamemaker, asked.

"That's what I'm saying," I replied. Atos is looking out the window of his room. The arena is visible from here.

"Why?"

"He took Willow from me! Do I really need to give more of an explanation?" I yelled. I don't have the patience for him.

"I can't just kill him. There's a lot of other factors in place. First of all, that's murder. It's wrong. I would be abusing my position if I killed Talon by the request of a citizen. You're not President Snow. Secondly, Talon has been by Willow's side every second since they got to the Capitol. If I were to kill Talon, I would have to create naturally. A fire, a falling tree, something like that. But I can't do it if he's with Willow all the time. Unless you wish to have her dead too..." Atos explained.

"No! Don't touch her!" 

"That's what I thought. And lastly, I don't really want to kill Talon. He got a 12 in training, so people are expecting him to be around for a while. I don't want to eliminate the tribute that the viewers like! Plus, he's protecting Willow. You want her to be protected, don't you?"

"How do you know what his intentions are? He could stab her in the back at any moment!" I replied.

"Well, I shouldn't be telling you this, but in his training session he created a blanket using his resources. Then he wrapped the blanket around one of our rocks and held it, as if it was a baby. It was his way of showing us that he's going to protect Willow's child. Smart play, on his part. It tugged at our heart strings. It's what got him such a high score."

"I don't care if he protects the child! Willow's kid isn't my kid! Talon's the father and I want him to pay for it!" My fuse was running short.

"Okay, okay! I will try my best to eliminate Talon without eliminating Willow, too. You may have to be patient. I need the perfect moment to come."

"Thank you, Atos." Without another word, I walked out of the room. 

Willow's POV

The first night of the Games came quickly. We found a perfect spot to camp at. It was agreed that Chris and I would keep watch first. Then Talon and Tetrick will step in in the middle of the night. We were in a small, circle shaped clearing. Chris guarded one side and I guarded the other. 

"Good night, Knives!" Talon called.

"Good night, Sickle," I replied, laughing a little. Soon, I could hear Talon's gentle snoring. The smile remained on my face. Maybe the Games will be alright, as long as I stick with Talon.

Pain. Deep, terrible pain was at my neck. My eyes snapped open. I tried to breath, but my windpipe is being blocked off. I'm disoriented. Where am I? What happened? Last thing I remember, I had been on watch.

Darn it! I had fallen asleep and now someone has sneaked up on me. I'm being choked. It's dark outside and I don't recognize the face of my attacker. Not a single breath is reaching my lungs. I try again and again, but it's no use. Whoever is attacking me is way stronger than I am.

Suddenly, the attacker's grip had loosened. Blood flowed from the front of his neck. A knife had been thrust through his neck. The attacker fell and Chris was revealed, holding the knife.

"If you're tired, you should say so. Go to bed. Talon can take over your spot."

I was at a loss for words. Chris just saved my life. She started to walk away. "Chris, wait..."

"Don't say anything. I know you're thankful." With that, she returned to her post. 

It was my job to wake Talon and tell him the story. He was so worried that he immediately offered to take my spot, which was the plan anyways.

"It's only the first night. You can't die." The cannon, signifying my attacker's death, went off.

"I'll try harder next time."

***

Do you like what you've read? Go to my website ( https://haileyladonna.wordpress.com/) and sign up for email notifications. There, you'll find work not published to Wattpad, as well as blog posts and updates on my life.