8: Gerard Stuffs Melons Down His Shirt and Frank Turns Into Rambo

Start from the beginning

"Yeah...but you know it's never as good as the stuff from the cafe," Gerard pleaded, giving Frank those puppy dog eyes that really weren't fair to use on any occasion, because Frank just couldn't say no when Gerard was looking at him that way.

"Fine...we can go get coffee," Frank agreed with mock reluctance, hiding his smile as Gerard's eyes lit up at his words, but Frank couldn't keep the expression off his lips once Gerard began tugging him toward the car like an overexcited child.

It turned into more than coffee though, not that Frank was really complaining, because he would never turn down spending time with Gerard under any circumstances, but after Gerard had dragged him to the record store, and the movies, with a quick stop into an art supply shop so Gerard could get some canvases to start working on more paintings, Frank was thoroughly exhausted, and he had never been so happy to sink under the covers and let his eyelids fall shut as he was that night.

~~~

Frank awoke out of a deep sleep with a start, groggy and disoriented, but also on edge, and even though he had no idea why he was awake at three in the morning for no apparent reason, he couldn't seem to shut his eyes again, no matter how hard he tried.

Glancing around warily, Frank tried to find the source of whatever had woken him up, but he was coming up with nothing. Maybe it had been another dream, but Frank didn't feel the way he usually did after a nightmare - this was different somehow, but Frank just couldn't place his finger on the elusive sensation.

Gerard didn't seem to be sharing Frank's restlessly, and he barely stirred when Frank sat up, his eyes roving around the room nervously. Frank didn't know what he was looking for, but it almost seemed as if something else was in the room with him besides his husband that is; an unfamiliar presence that had Frank's skin tingling uncomfortably even once he had ascertained that there was nothing sharing the small space with them.

When a soft bump sounded from the hallway, Frank jumped violently, all of his senses on high alert, his heart beating painfully loud in his chest as he strained his ears in the hope - and also fear - of hearing anything else.

Frank was clueless about what could have made the sound, and even though it was probably something innocent like a picture falling off the wall, Frank's mind instantly jumped to the worst case scenario, which was that there was an intruder inside of their home.

As quietly as he could, Frank crept out of bed, heading to the nightstand which held a rarely used gun Frank had insisted they keep in the house for exactly this purpose. Frank wasn't a great shot, and this wasn't like being at the shooting range, so he had no idea if he could actually manage to hit something - or someone -if there actually was a thief, but hopefully the mere sight of the weapon would scare away whoever was out there - if there was even anyone there.

Frank tiptoed to the doorway, glancing back at Gerard warily as did so. Frank wanted to wake his husband up, because he was really fucking scared, and he needed his support right now, but Frank was even more terrified of making any unnecessary noise, and he would never forgive himself if Gerard got hurt trying to protect him.

No - this was something Frank had to do on his own, and even though his limbs were shaking, he forced himself to move out into the hallway, toeing the door closed behind him to conceal the sleeping Gerard from view.

Frank didn't immediately see anything; nothing seemed out of place, and there was definitely no masked man snooping about, or whatever burglars looked like, but just when Frank was about to turn around and head back into his bedroom, he heard another noise, this time coming from downstairs.