Mate of the Sand Chapter 37

I know everyone wants them to get back together, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.  For one thing, she's going to Konoha for a long time before she comes back, and even after that it's going to be awhile.  Besides that, I'm honestly thinking of killing her off in the end.  Requires a lot of thought, but that idea's been more and more appealing, so I dunno.

_____________________________________

Kankuro walks in, slumping into a seat.

"What do you want, Kitten? I can't help unless I know."

I glance at him, before looking back at Amari.

"She needs to know her father. I'll do my own thing, I can get what I want on my own."

He sighs.

"But what do you want?"

I pause.

"Nothing you can give me. As aweful as it is, it all depends on us. And that's not going to work."

Kankuro groans exasperatedly.

"But what do you want? Stop giving me half answers."

Stroking Amari's short hair, I remember that there's nothing wrong wiht her hearing.

"I want us to live together as a family. But we can't, because everytime I see moving sand, I freak."

Kankuro stands up, looking out the window quietly.

"He wants the same thing as you do, you know. He loves her, he doesn't know she's a she, even."

I roll up the scroll I had written on.

"I know. And I've forgiven him. That's why she's here. But I can't stay here. Give him this."

He frowns, taking the scroll.

"What's this?"

I lean back, Amari just sits still.

"That is my notification of my deporation to Konoha. He has two weeks to get it cleared."

Kankuro's eyes grow a bit darker, but he just nods, slipping the scroll in his pocket.

"If it doesn't get processed, I leave anyway."

His eye flash once, his plan has been stopped before it even started.

"Where will you stay until then?"

I shrug softly, watching my little girl.

"I'll find somewhere. I'll have her over here daily, she can get to know him."

Kankuro walks to the door, pausing and looking back at me.

"You can stay here. Does it... Is it really that hard for you?"

I shake my head.

"Being a ninja, the occupational hazard is dying. Being alive, the occupational hazard is hurt."

He laughs softly, before continuing on out.

"And being you, you've accepted both of those things already, ignoring any hardship it causes you."

Naturally, I don't protest that, it's true.

That's one of the reasons I got along with Gaara so well from the beginning.

He could hurt me all he wanted, and I would ignore all of it.

It didn't get in the way of my attachment to him, and so I love him.

And yes, it hurts a lot to do this, but life goes on.

It will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

And from here on out, at least, Amari will have a father.

I pull out another scroll, and begin writing on that one.

"Woman, what are you writing now?"

I grin softly, not stopping my movements.

"Now that one's a surprize."

She snorts softly.

One of the things she's said before is that surprizes are never good.

I agree with her, most of the surprizes I've gotten haven't been that great.

"I know you don't like them, but this one may or may not be needed, so I won't tell you."

Amari doesn't question me, she knows I won't tell her if I say I won't.

Eventually I roll up the scroll and tuck it away.

She hops down from my lap and stands to face me.

Her face is serious, but she says nothing.

I chuckle softly, standing up and lifting her with me.

We go to face the window, I notice the sun is setting.

"I'll tell you about nekos now. You'll need to know this later, so remember well."