Mate of the Sand Chapter 5

I needed to end somewhere, and that was as good as any place.  Sorry about the wait, I been very sick, so I didn't have time to type cause I went to sleep at like, ten.  That might be late for some people, I suggest you rethink that.  Night owls are scientifically proven to be smarter.  Anyway, I usually go to bed about four hours before I have to get up, so I have plenty of time to type, but I was sick, so I was tired, and my brain isn't working well.  So blame this crap I just unleashed on you, on my immune system which has been working less than usual lately.

_____________________________________________________________________________

That afternoon, Matsuri comes running over to me.

"Uh... I wanted to apologize. It was just a shock, ya know?"

I smile in acceptance.

"I know. Gaara-sama and I, we haven't seen each other for three years. He's changed."

She smiles back.

"Yeah. I heard he used to kill people. That doesn't sound like him."

I glance at the clear sky.

"It was him. It might still be. I don't pretend to know him. He is a mystery."

She nods in agreement.

"You know, soon a team from Konoha is going to come. I think you know them."

I glance at her.

"I'll have to go see them, then. Matsuri... I'm warning you now, you can't kill me. Don't try."

Her eyes show pain and guilt.

"I have to. I must do what's best for Gaara, even if it means sacrificing his happiness."

My eyes show the sadness and regret I feel to that.

"Matsuri. He will kill you if you do. I know him better than you. His pain, his sadness."

Now she's angry.

"He won't kill me! I'm his student! He wouldn't ever do that! You don't know him like I do!"

I smile sadly.

"I mean no arrogance when I say that I might be the only thing keeping him sane."

She growls.

"How could you possibly say that? He is more sane then you will ever be!"

Sighing, I close my eyes.

"Because I love him, Matsuri. He knows my love and my devotion. They never vary."

Her eyes narrow thoughtfully.

"I will win. I will drive you out of here. And when I do, Gaara won't trust you. He'll hate you."

I nod gravely.

"Yes you will. And I will die. But I still have almost a year before that happens."

She turns on her heel and walks away, leaving me to continue what I was doing.

XXX

I wake up in Gaara's arms.

He's sleeping for once.

Shukaku will let him sleep if he's with me.

But he doesn't do it very often.

He doesn't trust the demon.

I rest there quietly, tracing his face with my eyes softly.

He needs as much sleep as he can get.