Chapter Six

After awhile later we arrived in front of Lauren's massive driveway. Her leg leaned on the ground supporting our weight as we waited for the tall steel gates to open, gates that I didn't even notice when I arrived, they must have been open, and allow us on the premises. My arms were still clinging to the girl's waist as I had become content with the feeling of her warm body in my arms. The gates swung open ever so slowly and with each second I grew more sad at the thought of having to let go. She revved the engine and began to take off again up the windy driveway. When we made it to the top, Lauren parked the bike and removed her helmet, stretching out a hand to help me off the back.

"This is the part where I would open your door for you, but you had to take the bike," the taller girl said with a gleam in her eye. "This is why chivalry is dead," she laughed.

"I know you were showing off your motorcycle skills back there," I taunted, remembering how she weaved in and out of traffic effortlessly.

"I don't know if you can call that skills, but I always love an opportunity to show off," she winked, causing the knots in my stomach to make a come back. "And a little reminder for next time, you don't have to hold on so tight, I promise I won't let you fall," the green eyed girl smiled.

"I wasn't even holding on tight. Do you see these arms?" I said flexing my sad excuse for muscles, "I couldn't hold on tight if I wanted to."

"Please, you practically squeezed the life out of me. You're like a tiny boa constrictor." Lauren laughed. I felt the blood rush out of my face in embarrassment. I knew I would mess up this date somehow. The other girl noticed and placed her hand on my cheek for comfort.

"Hey no, I didn't say I didn't like it," she moved the pad of her thumb across my cheek, "I like being close to you," she grinned. "Shit, uh sorry.. that's weird I shouldn't have.. sorry," Lauren sputtered. I took this opportunity to comfort the girl in the same way she had comforted me. I reached up to her face and planted my hand on her rosy cheek.

"I didn't say I didn't like it," I smiled reassuringly.

I followed Lauren through the big front doors of her Miami home. She closed the door after I stepped inside and showed me the way to the couch in her living room. The inside was so much bigger and extravagant than I had previously thought. The cream colored walls were filled with beautiful paintings in large frames. Everything was neat and tidy as if the girl hadn't even lived here. It was so much different from my house which was littered with sofis toys and my clothes. It was like the girl and I lived in parallel universes.

"You want anything? I have soda, water, anything you want really," she shrugged.

"I'm good, thanks though," I told her distractedly, squinting my eyes to better see the art covered walls.

"So do you collect art or something? Those look really pretty. I've always liked art since I was little. Just never had the talking for it," Lauren walked over and softly gripped my hand, leading me to the wall across from us. Her hands were warm and sent a shiver down my spine once our fingers interlocked.

"Not collect art per say, these are mine," she blushed shyly. "They're not that great, but I enjoy art. It's like I'm transported to the world I'm painting and for a little while, all my problems disappear." Her eyes were locked on the picture in front of us. It was of a flowery field of yellows and reds that met the orange sky, and a lone tree with a swing attached in the distance. She stared mesmerizingly, as if she'd been remembering something, as if she knew this place. I gave her hand a slight reassuring squeeze which snapped her back to reality.

"I used to go here during the summers with my family as a kid. You see that swing? My grandpa built that one evening when I cried because all the neighborhood kids had swings and I didn't. He would spend hours pushing me and humming," she smiled remembering the fond memory, "and then after all day of playing outside, I'd come back in and my grandma would have made a giant plate of cookies."