Chapter Five

"Mila, what are you doing over break?" Ally asked when she caught up with me in the hallway.

"I'm not sure, probably just sleeping and eating. How about you? Are you spending it with Troy?" I closed my locker after getting my english binder out of it and inquired Ally back.

Ever since Ally and Troy became a 'thing', Ally has been a lot happier. More cheery. She spent a little less time with Dinah and I but that was totally fine, it wasn't a significant amount of time lost. Usually all of us would spend Thanksgiving break together, but now we all have different priorities and responsibilities.

I didn't know what I was doing for Thanksgiving break honestly, probably just taking care of Sofi while my parents go out for parties with their coworkers.

"Yeah," Ally smiled at the mentioning of her new boyfriend, "His family is coming over for Thanksgiving dinner. Can I tell you something?"

"No," I turned around and acted like I was starting to go to class. I rotated back around to meet Ally's, now confused and worried, face again, "Just kidding! Of course, you can tell me anything Allycat."

"You're so fucking mean!" My best friend slapped me on the arm. "Anyways, I think I love Troy." Ally bit her lip and scrunched her nose at the confession.

I didn't expect her to say that, but I was ecstatic for her nonetheless. My mouth opened for me to answer back, but all that came out was the sound of the bell. Well, I didn't actually make the bell noise, it just seemed like I did because the bell rang as soon as I opened my mouth.

"Tell me all about it at lunch, okay?" I grabbed Ally by her arms and made her swear she would before I walked away for real this time.

I sat in my regular seat and took out the homework that I actually did this time. Ever since the little study sessions I had with Ms. Jauregui, I haven't forgotten my homework since. Each day, I got a little more and more nervous to go to english. It wasn't that Lauren made me uncomfortable, quite the opposite actually. My crush on her had gotten a lot worse, and it hurt my heart to be in the classroom with her and not being able to just jump out of my seat and kiss her.

She wasn't in class when I got there and all the students were already piling in. I dug through my school bag until I pulled out my familiar doodling notebook, the one that was supposed to be for notes but is actually for my drawings. Flipping through the pages until I found an untouched one, I began to sketch out some shapes that would later turn into eyes. Lauren's eyes, specifically. Her eyes were so interesting. They were like a kaleidoscope. When you looked into them, you'd never see the same thing twice. Always seeming to change color, but never lose this green-ish ocean tint to them. She had dark, replete eyebrows that contrasted against her bright eyes. When she smiled, her eyes lit up to match her smile. The more I sketched, the more I realized that my pen couldn't do her beautiful eyes justice.

I didn't hear the door closing or Lauren's footsteps, until I felt someone looking over my shoulder. Looking up slowly, I saw her standing there peering at my paper. She raised an eyebrow when our eyes met. My cheeks flushed with bright red and I quickly handed her my homework, covering up my notebook as fast as I could.

She chuckled as she went down the row collecting the other students' papers. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back.

"Fucking creep. She's so freaked out now." It wasn't just a voice that ridiculed me anymore. The terrifying voice had a body now, and was sitting on Lauren's desk. I grimaced and looked over at the reptile man, scared to look him in the eyes.

"Look at me. You need to stop thinking about her. She's only going to hurt you." He demanded in a booming voice and hopped off her desk, making his way towards mine. I felt small, really small. I slid farther into my seat and forced my eyes shut. I didn't like how a part of my imagination could make me feel this insignificant and powerless. After I couldn't hear anything anymore, besides the scratching of people's pencils and the whispers of some students, I opened my eyes and scanned the room to find Lauren.